Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sour tangerine

Posted by timscott9 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 18:20

been growing a dancy tangerine tree in a 20 gal container for about 4 years. finally we have some fruit, (4), which is fine with us (start small). one of these just happened to seem to ripen very quickly this past week, and turn yellow. i picked and peeled it and took off a slice, then popped it into my mouth----locked my jaws! like a lemon! why do my tangerines taste like lemons?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sour tangerine

Where are you located and what variety of tangerine do you have?

o

Timscott: Mandarin gets mature in December. If the fruits are ripe now (?), they are not mature, but sick and become yellow. When they are not maturely ripen, they are sour, for sure. Well, wait for the next year! Kim

o

i'm in south georgia, and the variety of tangerine is called "dancy". another thing i didn't mention is that i have three other citrus trees in containers, all with dark green leaves and my kumguat has been loaded down every year for at least 5 yrs. the other trees are young and i expect them to bare next year, but the leaves on my tangerine are light green,even toward yellow. could there be something wrong such as root-rot?

o

if it also smells like a lemon, it may be root stock. That seems unlikely.
If it ripened this early, it may have been because it was damaged by insects or some other reason. When damaged, fruit will "ripen" early in the tree's effort to get the seed to maturity. Wait for the rest to ripen later, they will likely be much better.

o

HAVE TREES FULL OF A TANGERINE LOOKING FRUIT. POPS TO PEEL VERY EASY BUT ARE VERY SOUR. HAVE SEEDS. WHAT CAN I DO TO USE THEM. HATE TO SEE THE WASTE. THANK YOU

o

Hi ,
I have inherited three huge tangerine trees 18 plus ft tall that are laden with fruit but they are dry and sour There is a very large pomello tree next to them also laden with fruit but no juice , the trees are very healthy .
Is there any way of improving them as I would hate to cut them down?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here