Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beanqueen11

Please help me choose a fertilizer for container Meyer Lemon!

beanqueen11
9 years ago

Hello, long time forum lurker and first time poster! Happy to be here and thankful for all of the knowledge that I have gained from this community over the years.

Feel free to educate me if I'm posting this in the wrong place; I have searched and searched through the citrus forums and I'm having a bit of information overload and I was hopeful that someone could help me out.

I just obtained an Improved Meyer Lemon from my local garden center. I killed my last IML and have been doing tons of research so that I don't do it again! I'll spare the gory details, but I think the #1 problem was that I rarely fed it. So my question is about fertilizer choice.

I'm trying to avoid buying some type of new fertilizer when I have lots of available options at home. I don't think any are quite right though, from what I'm reading the ideal ratio is 3-1-2 and I don't have that. Here's what I've got:

Schultz Orchid fertilizer 19-31-17
Schultz Plant Food Plus 10-15-10
MI State fertilizer 13-3-15
Miracle Gro Houseplant Food 8-7-6

I use the MI State most often on my orchids and most other houseplants with fine results. I also have Epsom salts in the house and can provide any other details from the labels about what may or may not be in the above fertilizers.

And now the rest of the specifics:

It will always be a container plant (I live in Minnesota!), but I take most of my plants outside in the summer as conditions permit. It will likely not be able to go outside until next spring, as it is currently down to the 40s overnight here.

For placement, it's hanging out with my orchids about 6 feet away from floor to ceiling windows with a straight southern exposure. I can draw the sheers if the light/heat gets too strong during the day (it never does except in July maybe, did I mention that I live in Minnesota?!?)

I mist my orchids (and now the lemon) daily and put a small humidifier near them during the winter months. It helps us all feel better during the cold months.

The lemon is in what looks to be it's original Monrovia 6 inch pot. the soil was soaking when I got it so I haven't watered yet. I dug some out to see what it's planted in but it's hard to say since it's so damp still. It is pretty fine material and seems to be well amended with sand. It's not plain crappy potting soil. I don't intend to repot it until next spring at least, since it has tons of blooms right now and I don't want to freak it out at this time of year.

I'd appreciate any guidance from the pros here! If it's best that I go out and get a new fertilizer I will do that, because I am determined to succeed this time around. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I found at Meyers a 24-8-16 with most micros, non acid Mericle grow. None of your listed choices are appropriate. Home depot and lowes will not have anything your tree can use.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I was told not to fertilize containerized citruses so I stopped with no ill effects. Im surprised its blooming now but I'm so far south from you that my input is probably of little value to you.

• beanqueen11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses! poncirusguy, is that the Miracle Gro All Purpose fertilizer or was it a Meijers store brand? I don't think we have Meijers up here. bossyvossy my last lemon did well with little/no food for a few years but it stopped bearing fruit for the last 2 years, then dropped all its leaves and then died last spring. I think my failure was a combo of no food, wrong soil mix, 1 repotting when it was stressed in an effort to save it, and then the final bullet to the heart was our move this summer. It got overwatered by my well meaning husband.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Look for Vigoro Citrus and Avocado, or Espoma Citrus Tone (organic, but a bit pricey); apply according to label instructions.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Hi John

Are we going with a fertilizer lower in nitrogen because we are going in to winter but we still need the other nutrients at regular strength.

Steve

• serge94501
    9 years ago

This stuff might be available nationwide - does have urea based nitrogen, though, so biuret buildup could be an issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: green all fruit and vine

This post was edited by serge94501 on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 21:55

• vanman23
    9 years ago

I use foliage pro 1/2- full strength every time I water, even in the winter. I flush the container about once a month with distiller water. The plant will only use what it needs to and the watering and fertilizer needs will be less in cooler weather. You have to be versed in not only growing citrus, but also growing in container.

When you repot you should use Al's 511 or gritty mix. I use 511.

Good luck.

This post was edited by vanman23 on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 23:40

• Dtunesgw
    9 years ago

People here seem to love Foliage Pro by Dyna-Gro, which you can get on Amazon. I've used a variety of different ones over the years before I knew better. Most high nitrogen fertilizers with micro-nutrients will be good enough but macro-nutrient ration of 3-1-2 seems to be best for citrus. For example Foliage Pro is 9-3-6. However, I already had a bottle of 6-4-4 which I'm trying to use up and my trees don't seem any worse for wear.

Beware of folks who may recommend adding acids/base, ie vinegar or acid loving plant fertilizer. Unless you have high or low ph in your water/soil you don't have to adjust.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

BeanQueen, most of the very successful container citrus growers use DynaGro's Foliage Pro. Full strength in the summer when your trees are outside and growing rapidly, 1/2 strength during the slower winter months. And, many often supplement with Osmocote Plus (must be the "Plus" formulation). Works very well, proper NPK ratios, plus all the micros. Also, the N is not urea-based, so you don't have to fear biuret build up and root burn. Both can be purchased at any number of online sources, and Osmocote Plus I think can be purchased at Lowes, now. Bossyvossy, not sure who on earth would have told you not to fertilize a container citrus tree, but your tree will eventually decline if you do not fertilize.

Patty S.

• beanqueen11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for all the tips, everyone! Most of my indoor plants are in some variation of 511 mix; I adjust it according to what I'm potting in it. I do have Osmocote Plus, and I will plan to add some to the 511 next spring when I repot the lemon. I have seen the DynaGro Foliage Pro mentioned a ton in these forums, so I'll probably end up tracking it down online. I've seen some of the Espoma products in local stores, so now I will keep my eye out for the Citrus Tone. I have seen the vinegar thing mentioned a few times, and was questioning if I needed to do that, so thanks for the clarification DTunes! I'm excited to do great with this plant, and again I appreciate all the advice.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that Johnmerr grows Meyer lemon trees professionally and has over 30,000 trees. His answer is probably the best for your tree and situation.

Steve

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Steve,

My answer is probably not the best; I just know those work pretty well for some of my friends who have garden trees.

I don't use those fertilizers for my inground trees; so best to take the advice of people who know more about container growing.

• Monyet
    9 years ago

Four weeks ago i transplanted a few citrus tree's to 3gl rootmaker containers and planted them on top in the garden area picked one up and i notice white roots coming out of the bottom. These tree's are growing in compost only.The containers were soaked for a day in a fish/kelp/water(Nitron-Sea/grow plus) bucket.You don't need anything fancy for the first 3 years
    Seagrow plus or any fish/kelp fertilizer to me is a crf,it does not work immediate.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

A seedling with it's first true leaves needs the same ratio of nutrients, including the secondary macros and all the micros. All nutrients are equally important to growth and vitality, so suggesting that nothing special need be done for the first 3 years could be very misleading. Nothing special need be done as long as the plant is getting ALL the nutrients plants normally take from the soil, in a favorable ratio and at a concentration high enough to prevent deficiencies, yet low enough that the concentration of nutrients in the soil solution isn't high enough that it inhibits the uptake of water and the nutrients dissolved therein.

To me, that sounds like you need a plan if you want to be on target. Leaving it to chance by letting the soil feed the plant might be ok in the yard or orchard, but it's not going to get the job done in pots.

FWIW - using large fractions of compost in conventional container culture is usually fraught with water retention problems (as in too much), due to the fact that compost is all fine particles (or it's not finished and you probably shouldn't e using it for that reason). That you have the Rootmaker containers resting on the soil employs the earth as a giant wick, and from a hydrological perspectives turns the containers into mini raised beds - which changes the way water behaves in those containers. You can use soils that are much more water-retentive and get away with it in raised beds, where the same soil in conventional containers would be limiting due to its excess water retention.

Al

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

A seedling with it's first true leaves needs the same ratio of nutrients, including the secondary macros and all the micros. All nutrients are equally important to growth and vitality, so suggesting that nothing special need be done for the first 3 years could be very misleading. Nothing special need be done as long as the plant is getting ALL the nutrients plants normally take from the soil, in a favorable ratio and at a concentration high enough to prevent deficiencies, yet low enough that the concentration of nutrients in the soil solution isn't high enough that it inhibits the uptake of water and the nutrients dissolved therein.

To me, that sounds like you need a plan if you want to be on target. Leaving it to chance by letting the soil feed the plant might be ok in the yard or orchard, but it's not going to get the job done in pots.

FWIW - using large fractions of compost in conventional container culture is usually fraught with water retention problems (as in too much), due to the fact that compost is all fine particles (or it's not finished and you probably shouldn't e using it for that reason). That you have the Rootmaker containers resting on the soil employs the earth as a giant wick, and from a hydrological perspectives turns the containers into mini raised beds - which changes the way water behaves in those containers. You can use soils that are much more water-retentive and get away with it in raised beds, where the same soil in conventional containers would be limiting due to its excess water retention.

Al