Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Key Lime Thorns

Posted by ghoghunter Zone6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 05 at 18:58

I am growing a key Lime for the first time this year. It came from Stark Brothers as a very small plant this Spring and has grown quite well. It now has very long pointy thorns on it and I am getting concerned that they will continue to grow in proportion to the size of the tree. Do all citrus have thorns like this? I had no idea it would get such sharp thorns!! It is about 12-18 inches high and has spread to about 12 inches wide and I will be taking it inside soon since I live in zone 6 and it cannot stay outside.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Key Lime Thorns

Your key lime will always have thorns, but as the tree gets bigger and more mature, they will tend to be somewhat shorter. Nearly all citrus have thorns as young seedlings; most varieties quit making them as the tree matures. But Key lime has thorns throughout its life.

o

You can snip off the thorn points to make your tree more pleasant to be around. I have 3 Key Lime trees, 2 are thorny, 1 is thornless. The citrus I have with the worst thorns is my Meyer Lemon. It has HUGE ones on new growth -I also trim them.

When I get stabbed by a citrus thorn it feels like venom is injected into my skin. They hurt! I must just be very sensitive to them, as other thorny plants don't burn me like citrus do.

I have not seen any ill effects to the plants by removing the sharp points of the thorns.

Lisa

o

Well I will trim the thorns. I had not thought about trimming them and that is a great idea. I am glad to hear they will not be growing any bigger.

o

i use dog toe nail clippers to clip the thorns on mine. makes nice smooth clean cut.
Gina *BabyBlue*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here