Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicolecarpenter86

HELP! Trifoliate rootstock seedlings are yellowing and dying

Hi there citrus growers.

This past May, I planted several flats of some trifoliate orange seeds that were given to me by a friend. About 50% germinated and were transplanted. Now that they're transplanted, about 60% of those are turning yellow and dying, looking as if I neglected to water them (which is not the case). Am I over watering? Is it a nutrient issue? A pH issue?

The substrate they're growing in is 1/2 fox farm ocean forest and 1/2 black gold soil conditioner, with a few handfuls of perlite added to each binful of soil mix. My pH meter reads somewhere between 5.8 and 6.2. I never let them dry out fully, I probably keep them on the moist side because that's what I used to do when I grew citrus in North Carolina, and they did fine there, no dying off. Now I live in Colorado. I keep them in an extension of the house with lots of windows and they get indirect light all day except for 2 hours of direct sun in the late morning. The ambient humidity is between 20 and 45%. I sometimes give them compost tea but usually they get watered with river water, no ferts.

Those are all the details I can think of but please ask if you have any questions that might help you offer advice. I don't want to lose these seedlings, its taken six months to raise them to the 2-3 inches of height they are now.

Thanks so much!

Comments (2)