Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanngreen

Meyer lemon needs something..?

MeanNgreen
9 years ago

Hey all,
Any idea what this tree may be lacking. Seems healthy except for leaf color. Nitrogen, iron.. what does it look like it needs. I generally use osmacote plus granular fertilizer. I'm in myrtle beach sc if that helps.

Comments (11)

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another shot

• houstontexas123
    9 years ago

green veins - probably not Nitrogen

magnesium maybe

how close are you to the shore? could also be salt damage

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Florida - Citrus Deficiencies

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Looks to me like the newest growth is very green and healthy.

Older leaves are yellowish -- which, however you change the culture -- they will not likely recover a green color.

Anyway, that's just my perception.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you guys this epson salt may help or could it potentially hurt? I know Houston suggested mag deficiency. Yes dave your are right that mostly older leaves are suffering from yellowing. what you think?

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

The important thing is your new growth appears very healthy; so whatever was the problem is in the past; and what you are doing now seems to be working. Those yellow leaves will eventually fall off once the plant has extracted whatever is left in them.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

What Dave & John said. Remove more lawn - it will always compete with N and will win the battle. Lemons tend to need more fertilizer than other citrus in my experience, due to their prolific bearing, especially the Improved Meyer. So, remove another foot of grass all the way around, and just continue fertilizing as you are. I think using a time release like Osmocote Plus (should be the Plus formulation, as that is the only Osmocote formulation that contains the micros as well as the macros), along with a citrus granular fertilizer is a good combination.

Patty S.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes Jon. Most new growth looks healthy just trying to avoid progression of yellowing on to those leaves as well. Patty next spring I planned to cut out more grass, and I will start with another citrus fert. What you guys think about diluted Epson idea. Unnecessary in this case?

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) won't hurt anything; but it is probably not necessary. I don't see any signs of Mg deficiency; but Meyers are heavy users of Mg. My field formulation of fertilizer has 2% Mg; and BTW I put Magnesium Sulfate on my roses twice a year; and I always sprinkle some around my garden Meyers at the same time.
    I would also lose the stake; try moving the ties down 3-4 inches every couple of months until you can remove them altogether. You have quite a bit of weight of lemons relative to your trunk size/strength; so if you just removed the stake now, you would risk the trunk breaking.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Exactly what John said. Make it easy on yourself. I would carefully remove the stake as John suggests. If you have winds in your area, you can use a two stake method, to protect the tree from snapping, but still allowing it to flex which thickens and strengthens the trunk to the point that you can eventually unstake the tree.

Patty S.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon and Patty
    The stake was another concern I had. It was the original from when potted and supported the tree in its earlier phase. I never removed it when I planted in ground but did cut the tape that was holding it to the tree. The good news is the tree has supported itself nicely. The problem is pulling up the stake. It really hard to tug up and since it's probably rusted and thickened I'm worried that if I pull too hard I'll damage the roots below. Maybe I should wet soil..or just leave it?

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Or just cut it off at ground level. Still, if you are nearing windy season, I would at least significantly reduce the fruit load; not to worry, you won't really lose anything, as Meyers at that stage are already better than any other lemon in the world.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz