Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smarsh7903

Kumquat emergency!

smarsh7903
10 years ago

Last winter I bought a Meiwa Kumquat sapling. It only had a few little leaves on it, but this summer it grew a ton of leaves and was doing very well. A few weeks ago a critter knocked the plant over and the pot shattered. I have a compost, but didn't have much potting soil, so I saved as much soil as I could and repotted it into a much larger pot. For the extra soil, I mixed in a lot of rich compost. I think I may have made a mistake. Just a day later from repotting, the plants leaves were already starting to curl. I watered it the same as I always have, about every three days, but just a few days ago I noticed that the leaves are starting to get crispy and are very curled. I'm watering every day to keep the soil moist. Is this just the tree going through shock or can I do anything to save it? I love this tree and it was a gift to myself after waiting many years for one.

Comments (6)

• bonechickchris
    10 years ago

I have read that straight compost is not good for citrus for one, it holds too much moisture, and two, the PH is not right for citrus.
    There are a numerous posts on soil mixtures here. But if you cannot make your own soil, can you atleast buy some perlite?
    Most plants suffer transplant stress which is normal however, I do not think it is ok to use straight compost for citrus. So I think you have to get some better soil or mix as soon as you can.
    Also, it is good to not leave it in full direct sun for about a week after transplant.
    Again, I am not a pro here, so hopefully others with give you some more info. Good luck! Christy

• smarsh7903
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your reply. I was skeptical of using compost as well, but I live far from town. I am going into town tomorrow so maybe I can buy some sort of citrus mix or something. If I get perlite, what kind of mix would you recommend me buying? WIll the tree recover? Thanks so much!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I just transplanted 4 sweetlee tangerine trees. I put them in total shade for about 3 days and slowly into part shade then into full sun over a 2 week period. When the leaves curled I move the plant back to shade. I misted the leaves many time from sunrise to about 2 hours before sunset. This allowed the leave to dry off before sunset. They are doing fine now

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

eliminate a double post. and add. I have 2 kumquat trees a meiwa and a nagami. They are treated the same way I grow the sweetlee tangerines I mentioned above

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 10:02

• smarsh7903
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to get a perlite/citrus mix today. I also think that I should start moving the plant inside at night. I live at almost 7k feet elevation and it is already getting into the 40's at night. I read last night that fluctuating temperatures can confuse the plant into which season it is going into and can shock it a bit.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Smarsh.....Honestly, many here are lucky to plant their trees into the ground or grow them in warmer climates..

Those in the ground especially can handle such fluctuations because the ground temp is much more stable than container growing...It's a great idea to keep your root zone warmer than the 40's for solid active growth...

Watch out for that Citrus mix if it's from Miracle Grow since it holds a lot more moisture than you might think.
    More perlite than that mix would be awesome for your trees according to a few that I know that use it..

Mike>-)