Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggyby

Bugs 5

maggyby
9 years ago

Hi all. I am not very imaginative to come up with a new title.
Mike. I just love that plant. It is an orchid right? Those small flowers are soooo pretty. What us it called.
Brian did you see the orange cut in half. You are right the moro orange leaves are pointing down. Not sure what it means? Anything I should do?
I am sorry to hear you are not happy with yours . I hope it doesn't die.
Steve sorry to hear you are having a struggle today with your greenhouse. Hope you are not too frustrated.
Cory am going to write you soon. Maggy

Comments (150)

• orangelime1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning I mean good afternoon everyone I just woke up and it is now 2.30 wow . I was up to 2.30 am playing with my tv antenna then went to bed then woke back up at 4.30 am played again with my antenna finally going back to bed at 11.00 am and now I am up . My tv antenna is my second favorite hobby on special nights my antenna can pick up from quit far . This morning I had a few Toronto stations booming in i also had Buffalo , Rochester , Syracuse , Montreal all coming in in great HD I Love mornings and nights like that . We bought a turkey yesterday they were on sale so before I went back to bed I threw it in a roaster with lots of fresh garden herbs l cannot tell you my friends how beautiful the smell in my house is right now . If I could invent an air freshener with this scent I would be a very rich man . Maggy is Buddy ever cute and loyal . Sugar is always in the window when I get home . I wonder if there is any human being that would do that for their mate . I will post a pic of Sugars birthday . Mikey what's up my friend ? The white flower you posted a little further up is that from a cactus or is it a water lily from your pond , it is absolutely gorgeous love it .Your citrus trees look great my friend very curious how you get all your flowerino plants and citrus in there . I would love to grow some flowers in mine but there is just to much shade from the trees . Hats off to you and Cory you guys manage to do it and with everything looking so great . Mike I loved Godzilla I Love action movies and comedies . Last night we watched we are the millers was that ever funny loved it . There were a couple of times through the movie that I was glad I did not have a mouth full of Pepsi because I am sure it would have ended up coming out my nose . I have not laughed so hard for a long time . Promethius I hope I spelled right we liked alot these are the movies we love to watch . You will be home soon my friend to play in your garden . Cory don't try to figure out people . Most of the time they don't make sense . Just like if you are trying to sell your house people only look at if you have an updated kitchen . You can have new roof new bathroom new doors and windows new everything but if the kitchen has not been updated they don't want it and the funny thing the most expensive work has already been done . Cory that's to much priorities are really backwards , today's society it's all about the looks and impressing others with very little substance . Mike's right your arms are going to be huge after this maybe we will see you in a new action hero movie . Cory there is still lots of time do do things take a day off for yourself buddy . Mike do you see what I mean , I don't care there are lots of fruit and I would rather see them on my tree then me. Have a great afternoon everyone .

Brian

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Wish you guys where here .

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just lost everything' I wrote again as my iPad crashed. So frustrating

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy you poor darling take a break . Go sit out on the patio with a bloody caesar and enjoy the sun . Breathe deep and count to 10 . While I was a sleep this afternoon the better half went to are little apple orchard and picked some apple's and made 2 large apple crisps , pure candy . We are going to go downstairs and re watch were the millers it was such a funny movie . I misspelled it previous post . Going to bring a big bowl of apple crisp with ice cream yummy . Hope you get the problems with your I Pad all worked out . Have a nice evening Maggy .

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cory, it seems that I am having a lot of trouble with posting. I will try again. Did you get the rest of your lights installed? Would love to see pictures of the inside after they are installed. It must be hard working around the plants. Too bad you bad to put them inside as a warm spell came shortly after. It was like thaat here as well. I put some plants inside the greenhouse and then the days and nights got warm. I must admit it smells good in there with the Meyer blossoms. I took the Meyer and Moro out today to spray them and since it is warm I left them out. I don't have a fan in there yet either and they like the air outside I think.
    I wish I could put lights in my greenhouse but it is costing me $ 500 + tax to put in a plug and then we had to hire someone to dig the trench. Only two days now and the electrician will be here.
    Cory did you see Mike's plants. They are so amazing. Did you see the variegated CC . It is very interesting. I had never seen one before. I didn't find a yellow one yet. Thank you for the offer to send a cutting. That would be nice. I received some epi cuttings fromCalifornia and a couple of CC ones from Florida, and something from England without a problem.as long as they are not rooted they seem to be o.k. I don't want to publicly post my address but if you don't mind emailing me at maggyemma@hotmail.com I will send it to you. I will be more than happy to pay for postage. Thank you Cory.
    I did some research and it sounds like the vendor from Equador does bring bare rooted orchids to the shows. What a disappointment. I just assumed it would be potted. I really thought the Sharry Baby might be a good choice for my first orchid. But potting and picking the right pot might be a problem, since I don't know what I am doing. I emailed the vendor to see if I could get a potted one. I suppose I could check with the Orchid Society to see if anyone would help me .I think my husband has a client who grows orchids , maybe he will know .When I saw Mike's I fell in love with that orchid.
    Cory it must be difficult for you with the curb being installed. They are talking about doing that here on our street. I think they do whatever they want. How do you manage to get in and out.
    I am appalled to hear what is happening to those you lost their beachfront properties due to Sandy. You have to wonder about insurance companies, they usually do not want to pay and it sounds like the government is making it impossible for people to rebuild. Do you have any recourse?
    You are such a hard worker Cory. I don't know how you do it. It is certainly a pleasure meeting you here. Have a great day. Maggy.
    Mike and Brian will write you in a bit.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

I think the problem of the disappearing messages is with this site. I just lost my message too and can't get it back. I have to start again. I hate that.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, Your Kishu is a lot bigger than mine. I love that little tree though. I have never seen fruit on a kaffir lime. I have my small kaffir and it is just starting to get a shoot. I had three kafirs I grew from seed and I repotted them in 5-1-1. All the leaves have turned yellow and are falling off. I am not sure what I did but I think they may have been too wet . I am hoping they will recover.
    Your trees and plants are so nice. I love seeing all the pictures you post .it is so nice that we all get to share here. I love Cory's Brian's and Steve's as well.
    Re the orchid, I send the vendor an email but as I wrote Cory I read that it will be bare rooted. If I can get someone to help me do you think it will be ok then. Otherwise I will cancel the order. I love that orchid.
    My dog is a funny little guy. He was rescued before we got him. He has a tion of personality as does my other dog. However he is amusing. He hides his toys everywhere. He bury's it under pillows, in the bed, behind the couch and he does it with his nose. If I go out at 10 am he will still be in the window if I come back at 4am. If my husband doesn't come home he starts to whimper and cry.
    I am glad you enjoyed my cat story. I knew you would appreciate it being a cat lover. I could tell you so many stories about my Artic life. In fact my
    best friend saved all the letters I wrote her during my 8 years as an Artic nurse and returned them to me.. My husband's friend who is a journalist has said he would write my memoir .
    How about a picture of Bo . I am sorry you lost your cat earlier. I had another cat that was accidentally killed by a friend. It was devastating.
    Mike, I have had an interesting life. Sometime I will tell you about the two years I lived in Greece.
    The FE I use is Neptune's Harvest I think it said cold pressed.. I bought a small bottle from Amazon I think.very expensive. It is very hard to find any thing here. I had to order FE, Neem's oil, agriculture oil,fungicide ,Dyna geo,Rosemary essential oil , Dr Bonner's soap on line.
    You sound like you have been very health conscious. Unfortunately in my younger years I smoked, drank and partied. Never did drugs . For the last 30 years I have done none of those things . I became a single parent when my son was two and worked went to nursing school ,later University . I worked during all my studying so didn't have time or money for vices .We try to eat right ,didn't smoke and occasionally have a drink .I do like wine . Good for you for taking care of yourself. It is admirable.
    Now the tattoo. I did laugh when I read the black rose and the barbed wire. It conjures up images . However I must say I have seen some tasteful tatto's
    My philosophy is that if you really want one, go for it.
    I laughed right out loud when I read you list of things one can do in the greenhouse. You are too funny Mike.
    Well I still have to write Brian.
    Take care my friend, hi to you Mom and Bo .Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian, You are just tantalizing me with that Turkey and Apple crisp. They do look good and I can almost smell them.
    Sounds like you had fun playing with your antenna .then you get to sleep when you want and have a turkey dinner at the end of it. We are going grocery shopping in Detroit next week end. I will pick up a couple of turkey's . They are so much cheaper there.
    Didn't you laugh at Mike's suggestion for things to do in the greenhouse. Too funny.
    Have you had your turkey dinner yet. It is my husband's favourite meal. I remember when we were dating and he came to see me in Halifax. It was July and it was 90 degrees . I made him a turkey dinner. That is why he married me LOL!
    Brian, the dogs do bring so much joy. My husband says it puts a smile on his face to come home and see Buddy waiting in the window everyday. I wonder if he would smile if I wait in the window. Both our dogs have special personalities. Right now Teddy is snoring.
    You are right about trying to figuring people out, I gave up a long time ago. I agree that priorities are all wrong. Most of the time I would rather be with my trees.
    Well my friend. Have a great night, didn't eat too much Apple crisp and ice cream. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Ok Maggy, here is Bo per request..One was taken two years ago and the other recent..

My eyes hurt after all the reading but I will be back to respond to everyone soon...

Cory, don't you just hate that? After all that writing...You know, when you are half way through or almost done writing, copy and paste it somewhere or just copy it and then paste it back to the forum if you should loose it again..That is what I do..Before you hit preview and or post, copy and past what you did)

Ok Here is Bo..My eyes hurt and I feel like I aged a lot this weekend.

Here is Bo and what I look like after a long day, what I look like now

{{gwi:628807}}

{{gwi:628808}}

{{gwi:628809}}

{{gwi:628810}}

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 20:16

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG . Bo is gorgeous. A Siamese ! Those blue eyes .that close up picture is precious. Thank you for sharing. I can see why you adore that kiddy.
    Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian, where is sugar? Cory ,Steve do you have any pets? Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I keep spiders and snakes in the house and I provide shelter for them through out the premises. I get an occasionally a bat flying around. Those I have to chase in the bathroom and seal it in with the window open. inside. The snakes like to eat my field (house) mice. The spider eat brown recluse spiders and the insects that the brown recluse spiders eat as those insects grow old and feeble. No old and carrion for the feeble recluse to eat.

Lots of spider snake and mice habitat pics. Click link

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/mouse%20snake%20spider%20habitat

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Ok. I am trying to post again. Maybe I will split it up this time.

Mike, I did read your September 25 post and thought I had replied to most. My Coelogyne cristata was attacked by the squirrels but i think there is enough left that i could share a small piece. It its still outside and I have to find it yet. I remember feeling the same way as you when i first saw it and smelled it. It is not easy to grow as it needs cold winter temperatures and cool summers. But you should do ok with it in your unheated room or the greenhouse. It likes bright light although it did bloom in my basement under lights against a white wall. I will be glad to send you a piece, but it will be small I think.

I have sent your picture of your dendrchilum to one of my orchid friend expert growers to identify it. He has many different species of it. He also grows coelogynes, draculas and masdavallias and at one time had at least one of every dracula. His greenhouse got infected by a disease and he lost everything. He almost gave up orchids, but I am glad he didn't. He still has lots of plants again, but not to the extent he did.

About your dendrobiums that yellow, drop their leaves and look ugly and scrunny. There are many different species of dendrobiums and their requirements vary widely so you need to find out what you have. Some like it warm (above 65°F), some are cool growers or at least need a couple months of a cool, dry rest. Some are deciduous while others are evergreen. Some need to be kept moist, while others need to be dry or dry rapidly. When did your leaves turn yellow and dry up? I have found that the dendrobium phalaenopsis that you commonly find in stores needs warm temperatures and quite a bit of moisture in the summer. Some summers I don't even put them outside if I know there will be a long period when nights fall well below 65°f. The leaves yellow and fall off and the plants seem to go dormant for a long time. They are also sensitive to gas leaks. I had a leak and didn't realize it until the dens. dropped their leaves overnight. I knew the temperature hadn't dropped so looked for other reasons. I thought maybe I smelled gas in my greenhouse and got my furnace man to check it out with the bubble test and he found it even though he couldn't smell it. If it is a nobile type it needs a cool period to set buds. Keep it outside until frost. Them being it in and grow coolish (50°f). I think they like to be dryer during the winter too.

My colored paperclips help me a lot. I actually use two per plant. My temperature colors are blue - cool and cold, white - intermediate, pink -Warm. My second clip is for light requirements, purple -Low light, green -medium or dappled, yellow - bright indirect light. If a plant needs a dry rest i add a red clip, and if it needs extra moisture and high humidity a plain clip. On a plastic pot I punch a hole in the rim and thread the clip through the hole. If it is a clay pot I use a pliers to attach a u-shaped brad to the rim of the pot and thread the clip through. When i don't have time I will attach the clips and name tag to the plant hanger. Also I always attach the name tag to the clips and pots and also bury a second tag in the pot as a backup in case the squirrels figure out how to detach the plant label. I have tried many systems such as different colored plant tags, colored dots on the label, colored drink stirers in the pot, etc. The clip method is most fool-proof for me and the squirrels. When I bring the plants in and out I look for the colored clips to put them in places that meet their requirements. It takes work up front but it saves time and plants in the long run. You can start as you repot your plants and it isn't as onerous that way. I have learned so much about my plants doing this.

I get my tomato towers when they are on sale from Gardeners Supply catalog. They are not cheap but they work for me and last a long time. They are very sturdy as I have clay soil with lots of rocks. I sometimes have a hard time poking them in as I have so many rocks. You could put in poles too. I like that i can take them out and put them away in the winter so I don't have to look at the poles all winter. With your construction skills you could do so much better. I am limited as I no longer have a van or truck to get supplies. My cousin made a beautiful pergola to shade his patio and plants near his pond. I would love to have something like that.

The Cattleya I sent you was in bright shade with almost direct sun in the early morning as it is on the northeast side of my house. It is pretty shady during the day as the house shadow leaves it pretty shaded and there also are small trees on that side. It was not under the house eaves or trees so it was open to the sky. That is the color the leaves need to be to get flowers. That plant likes dappled light and i think warm temperatures. Does it have a pink and green clip? I'm trying to remember.

That S. coccinea does have moss growing on its stick. The moss likes the higher humidity. I get a lot of moss growing in my yard. Also mushrooms.

Your variegated jade is beautiful. I only have the plain green one now. I had many tropical plants that I lost in the storm as well as many more orchids. Maybe it is just as well i have less as it is hard to take care of them and find winter growing space. I lost a good portion of my cool space with the loss of my sun porches at the beach house.

Basic posting from a cellphone is easy. Under Image File to Upload, click on Choose File. It takes you to your phones directory. I choose Gallery or Files (it may be photos on your phone) and look for the picture I want, i click on the picture and it attaches it in that spot that said choose file. When you preview your message you will see the picture at the bottom of your post. I don't know how to post multiple pictures though.

I watch the daylight hours too, especially during the dark, short winter days. I bookmarked a daylight calculator to my smartphone so I can easily check how many hours of daylight we are getting. I can't wait until the days start to get longer again.

Have you heard from your father in Puerto Rico yet? Maybe it is a storm that knocked down some wires. Do you have friends or relatives there you can check with?

I love the variegated cc or is it a tc?

Bo is a beautiful cat. Such blue eyes! He doesn't bother your frogs? Maybe that is because he is well-fed. He looks nice and slim and in good shape though.

I have fish also. Not many at the moment. I will re-stock when I have more time to care for them. I use to have a fish pond in my greenhouse, but I needed the space for plants. For a while I had a stand over the pond, but that seemed to take away from the aesthetics. It was harder to take care of also and hard to navigate around. I couldn't fit the ladder legs when i had to fix things up high. It had to go.

What is the white star plant? So beautiful and crystalline white. Do I see a cactus next to it which it must be attached to?

I can see your trees are doing great by the pictures you posted. Yes, I can see the Kaffir lime if I look closely.

As for the tatoo -- why would you get a tattoo when you are so health conscious? You don't know what toxic stuff you may be subjecting your body to. You could easily be putting in something your body doesn't like, undoing all your efforts to stay healthy with green and protein drinks. Skip the tattoo. Enjoy your health. The body is very fragile. I know as my family members all are plagued by cancer and they were always healthy and did not do anything to increase their cancer risk. I would view injecting the tattoo dye into your skin as high risk. It its a foreign substance to your body and who knows what other germs or virus might get in and start turning regular cells into cancerous cells. I am surprised you would even think of it being so health conscious. Cancer is terrible, it just keeps coming back at you even when you think you have beaten it. It just comes back as a different kind. Fortunately I don't think I have it, but I have been caring for many family members since I was in my teens, and none of them lasted long term. Tattoos is a stupid fad. So much for my opinion. I think they are ugly too. Not a natural healthy body color. They use colors that would be unhealthy if your body produced them....think of varicose veins, bruises, pus, black eyes, rash colors, frost bite. I could think of worse but i don't want to go there.

This is not a very nice topic to end on, is it. I will think of that beautiful white star you posted for its.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Brian, Happy birthday to Sugar! Dogs are so loyal to us. Isn't it amazing how they know the time and know the sound of the car before it even comes down the driveway like Maggy's pup does. They are always faithfully waiting for us and so happy to greet us. They also love to do new things and see new places. When I walk my sister's dog she always wants to try a different route and is so happy when we try a new way. It is interesting how they love to get up and look out the window to watch what is going on in the neighborhood.

Brian, your apple crisp and roast turkey pictures are making me hungry. I can just smell them looking at them. You are quite the chef! I love all the food you write about. I used to eat that type food and I loved it but we have to eat a very restricted menu these days of mostly fruits and vegetables. I am used to it now, but those pictures and your descriptions can start some heavy cravings! I enjoy seeing your creations and love your descriptions.

We used to try to find distant radio and TV stations when we were kids at the beach house. We used to have problems just getting nearby stations during the day, but at night we could get very distant stations, I guess because we were right next to the ocean and we were the tallest building for miles around at that time. There was no interference at night. We were thrilled when we got the Canadian stations.

I had to rest from putting up the rest of the lights today. My back and body have been achy from all the lifting lately but I have been trying to work through it. I decided to rest today and watered all the plants, except the larger citrus, all day. They can wait a few days yet. That is a big job in itself but doesn't involve all the twisting and climbing that the lights do.

It was a beautiful weekend here. It its a shame all the plants are inside. Have a good week, and watch out for those ladies bags and elbows on the bus.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Maggy, it is frustrating having all those phone problems. Apple is usually pretty good. I have a Motorola Droid and have had problems like you are having all the time. My sister keeps telling me to get an i-phone.

The Ecuadorean vendors do bring interesting species and I have had good luck with the bare-rooted ones but i think you would be better off starting with a potted plant from a reputable grower that doesn't have to be repotted right away for your first plant. Sharry Baby is pretty available. You might get one from the raffle table if you join a society or one of the members might give you a division. It its a good one to start out with though. The bare-rooted plant may need extra TLC for a while as it will probably suffer some dissication enroute. There are tricks like soaking them in sugar water to help get them off to a good start. Sharry Baby likes to be under-potted and can sulk for a while when repotted. It likes to be moist but not soggy, so the size and type of media its important to start with. Mike says he grows everything in tree fern, but that is not so easy to get, at least for me. I grow mostly in a bark mix. You could probably put it in a mix similar to the 5-1-1 and out would grow well. If you are a heavy waterer, you might want to use a slightly larger bark. I also use sponge rock instead of perlite. It is a much larger particle size than the perlite you find in HD. You can go to The Orchid Works for good culture information for the oncidium/ odontoglossum intergenerics. They specialize breeding them. They have a page of instructions about how they grow them and what and how much fertilizer they use. It is very helpful. I often buy wholesale amounts from them for our society's auctions, raffle tables and gift plants. I buy plant from several vendors depending on their specialties.

Your puppy is so cute watching out for your husband to come home. They love to watch out the window to see what its going on in the neighborhood. That is an interesting story about you and your cat in the arctic. If you wrote a book about your life it would be just the type I would like to read.

The lights I am putting up are $25. They are very energy efficiency (High Output T5 fixtures and bulbs 54 watts). I would have liked to get a 2 bulb fixture but I couldn't find any in the four foot length. I wanted something slim so it would not block the natural sun light. The reflectors can be snapped on but they cost extra. You could put a CFL light in there too like Steve uses.

I will send you an email to get your address for the cc. Don't worry about postage.

It is fun to get fruits and veggies directly from the farms. When we were are the beach we regularly made a trip to the inland farms to get organic fruits and veggies. The farm fresh fruits and veggies taste so much better and stay fresh so much longer than what comes from the grocery store. I thought you were all worn out from your canning, but i guess you wer re-invigorated by the countryside and all the festivities.

I better give up posting for tonight. I am beginning to have problems so I will send this before I lose it again.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Mike, your plant is Dendrochilum magnum. My friend says that your picture looks like your plant has large leaves and yellow flowers and is scented. There are two other dendrochilums with yellow flowers but they have smaller leaves.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, your package is in the mail. I hope it arrives without a problem. Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hi all, I am wondering if this site is working today as there doesn't seem to be any activity on it. I have nothing to report as my neck and back ache so much I can hardly move. I had to go to the grocery store though as we were out of food. That was such an effort especially as I can't get into my driveway yet and probably not for a while. I think the new curbing has created many construction complications that will not be easy to figure out. It looks like they will have to remove a tree, lower or move the fire hydrant, lower or move the gas, electric, water and sewer utilities to my house and I don't know what they do with the 3 ft drop off to the curb as there is not enough room to make a slope. It looks like a wall might be needed.

Hopefully tomorrow is a less achy day. Have a good night.

Cory

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cory, Sorry to hear your neck and back hurt. I hope it feels better soon. A rest and less activity will help. You have been working very hard. It must be frustrating with the construction . Especially difficult to get in and out. We live across the street from a high school. We can't get out in the morning or between 3 to 3.30. N the afternoon.A nightmare. But you have it all the time.
    We are having great weather but looks like a cold front is coming through on the week- end.
    Cory thanks for sharing all the information regards the orchid. I really appreciate that. You are so knowledge and it is so nice of you to share that knowledge. I am waiting for a response from the vendor. Also my husband has sent a message to one of his clients who is a seasoned Orchid grower.
    My dogs are entertaining but most of all very affection. They love us unconditionally . My younger one Buddy is very attached to me. If I go to the bathroom he goes, he sits by the tub when I have a bath,he follows me everywhere. Just like a little shadow.
    Did you get all your lights up in the greenhouse.
    I do love fresh produce. You are right , it tastes better than anything from the grocery store.
    Cory, thank you for saying you would read my story. I have had an interesting life and some unique experiences.
    Hope you have a relaxing evening. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy, make that me again...If you wrote a novel, I would buy it in a heartbeat, why even mom mother said she would to) She also said she'g babysit your pooches too,

Cory..Wow, YOu just about knocked my socks off with all your info! Thank you from the bottom of my heart, well all of our hearts..I learned more from you than the Orchid forums....Ny the way, I have to remind myself to check the clips tomorrow on the plant you sent me.

Thanks for the encouragement on labeling my plants..I really appreciate that. I am so happy.

Cory, do you sell all those little orchids? Are they all seedlings under the others? So neat and organized..So pretty.I do love the idea you have to hang them..I just might do that too..I just might be a copy cat)))
    Love love love your hanging setup..What a great idea Cory)

Even a little piece of that Coelogyne cristata would make my head spin...If I have to send you money I have no problem with that..I would rather have one from a friend than a buyer. It would have sentimental value.

Thank you for naming that Orchid for me...I shall have to label that one like you do..In fact, I have to go back to see what kind of labels you use.

I am going to look at that garden supply book..I could use a few of those...I have nothing but tree branches and an arbor to hang mine from. Thank you.

Ok, no Tatoo for me after that description and possible health issue...Yikes..I must say I am happy you are ok in health and very sad that you have to care for so many sick like that. Cancer is terrible, and I am so sorry it's in your family.

Yes, we heard from my Dad, thank goodness..His phone died and now my mom can relax..Thank you for asking.

Bo is an indoor cat never allowed outside and eats the same diet as I do..lol

Thanks again for your kind words and I hope have a wonderful wonderful night!

Maggy, I will be back again soon, I am so tired but you have a wonderful night too))

MIke

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike, hope you are getting some rest. Your Mom would love my"pouches" Even the dog sitter comes to visit them and they adore her. Lots of kisses and waggy tails.
    Pretty quiet here today. I still have those baby Ants in my vareigated lemon. Can't get rid of them.
    Bo is just so sweet. What an adorable cat. I saved the picture . Those blue eyes OMG.
    Isn't Cory a wealth of information about orchids? I think we all learn from her.
    Brian must be exhausted after eating all that Turkey and Apple crisp.
    I am glad you decided again the tatto. A wise decision.. Cory was very passionate about the negative consequences. I have to agree with her.
    Cancer is a terrible disease. And I am sorry she has had to deal with it in her family as well. My sister had breast cancer but is a survivor. I lost my dad to Cancer.
    I am glad to hear your dad is o.k.
    We'll have a good sleep. Does Bo sleep on your bed? Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy..Yes, Bo sleeps with me every night...In the same spot and waits for me to hop into bed at the foot of my bed....Once I am in, he tip toes to my chest and stomach while I am laying on my side and snuggles resting against my stomach giving me support,,LIke have a pillow to hug there..I love it..I love his eyes too..That is what everyone says...Seems like yesterday when he ran up to me from a litter of kittens while the others scattered..

Yes, Cory is a Orchid Whisperer or Orchid Saint, choose which one..I have learned more from her than I did reading the orchid forums for the past few years.
    She is also VERY generous and would give an arm and leg if you needed it..Incredible.
    Oh, yeah, she too the desire I have been struggling with for years for a Tatoo away..Someone had to.

Oh yeah, my Mom wants to get one now..Oh boy, not sure how Bo would react to that. But she wants one bad. She wants to go to the Humane Society to see what's there. Oh boy. I can't believe the personalities your dogs have. You must be attached at the hips with them!

It's a dreary cold day here with drizzle, but not enough to water anything in our drought..Just enough to make everything damp and miserable for days...It was dark at 7 a.m. all of a sudden..I woke up and thought it was 5 a.m..What's happening to our long days?
    I love fall, that is if I didn't own any plants that loved summery warm days...If I didn't own one, then I would love all the seasons...I could never give them up, but do to the fact I love plants, then I would...lol You get that, right?

I personally think Brian took to his swim wear and decided to water his plants and get hot yesterday and then loss track of time..
    Then this morning, I think he over slept in his tent in the greenhouse because he forgot to set his alarm after falling asleep on a heavy meal..What do you think?

Have a beautiful day..I hate not being able to do anything outside while everything is damp and cold, so I think I'll paint for a few then go to work early..
    Take care)

BY the way, how in the world will you get rid of those ants quickly? I know Bayer Systemic will kill them asap, but you have to think about eating the fruit within weeks of applying it..Have you ever thought about watering your plant with an All Seasons Horticultural Oil mixture? That works for many.

MIke

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike,Bo is just like my dogs. They love to cuddle right against us. They are so affectionate . Is it a dog your Mom wants? How do you feel about it? Bo will probably not be happy at first. Teddy was not happy when I got Buddy initially. But now they are best friends. It might be good for your mom to have a pet to care for and if she gets a dog it will love her unconditionally. Shiz shu ' s are what I have . They are very good pets, so full of love. When we went to see Teddy I will always remember him running towards us with his ears flopping in the wind. Buddy was more subdued ( he had been rescued) but when my husband picked him up he snuggled in his arms and well, the rest is history. She will know when it is the right one.
    We are having a fall day as well. It is cold actually. No sun and it rained really hard in the night
    You are so right about Cory. She is so knowledgable about orchids . An expert really. And such a lovely person.
    Speaking of orchids I am cancelling the order for the bare rooted Ocidium. My husband contacted his client who grows orchids. I received an email from them today and they are going to order me a Sharry Baby potted and ready to bloom from their vendor. How cool is that. I thank you and Cory for advising me against a bare rooted plant. I am really excited about getting Sharry Baby although I have to wait until Nov .2 which is when it will be delivered to their orchid show. Awesome.
    I love fall too, it was especially pretty in Nova Scotia when all the trees turned such brilliant colours of yellow, red and orange. Not so much here though.
    I will try the horticultural oil in the ants . They are only in the blossoms of the variegated lemon. The other trees are fine.
    Brian must have eaten too much turkey . You are hilarious with his scenario in the greenhouse. Maybe he is still in there.
    Mike , I am excited for you Mom to get a pet. I know it is a big responsibility but it would be so therapeutic for her .
    Let me know when you receive the parcel I sent you.
    Take care my friend ? Maggy

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike. My husband wants to know which one of our dogs we should mail your Mom. LOL! Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Mike - I got about 15 adorable mice I could ship to her, if she would like. LOLOLOL

I talked to my boss about borrowing a cat. He is OK with it but he said that he didn't want me to let it outside. I have no problems with his wishes, but is it possible to keep a cat in side or are they to smart. That is a real question, before I barrow the cat.

Meanwhile, I am working on the framing of both the east and west wall. I hope my tree doesn't out grow the GH. It is 5 feet tall and the GH is only 8 feet. Good luck to all of you and you GH through winter.

Steve

PS most current picture of my seed grown sweetlee tangerine tree and the big spider is now wasp's "'egg/larva" feed

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 14:34

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cory,
    How are you. I gave to tell you how excited I am . I had told Mike a client of my husband has ordered me the Ocidium . All potted . Here is what she said
    "spoke with one of our vendors and he will bring one for you if you wish and reserve it, potted up and ready to enjoy and in spike, which means it will bloom soon for you, just about in bloom or in bloom. The price is around $25 to $30 which is very reasonable. Albert has one in bloom at the present time.
    The Oncidium Sharry Baby is a beautiful colour and a very fragrant one, chocolate sent and without the calories as we always joke about that."
    There are two Orchid societies here , as some members had a parting of ways and firmed their own. This newer group is very friendly and I have been invited to join them. Thanks for your advise. A potted one will be much easier for me.
    I hope you are having a nice day.. It is very cold here today. I think we will get a few warmer days. The electrician can't come until tomorrow . Then I have to figure out how to get the solar cover on. When the greenhouse was screwed to the floor there was no ledge left so I may have to put hooks in the wood frame in order to hook the bungee cords. WishMike lived closer.
    Brian is missing. Mike thinks he is sleeping in the greenhouse.
    Just wanted to share my news about the Orchid. Have a nice day. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi guys . First off what Cory your a girl lol .Cory I always thought you were a boy I guess I didn't catch that part when everyone was giving a description of themselves lol . I always thought you had blond hair with blue eyes with a 6 pack lol . My dog Sugar everyone thinks he's a girl because of the name until they see he is not . I loved the name Sugar because he's so sweet . Mikey you were very close I was told to sleep in the GH because apparently turkey is worse on me then sloppy joe's lol funny Mikey . Cory I can't believe everything that's going on that sucks . How long is this construction project going to go on for ? Not to mention all the dust and dirt your breathing in . Have you always used lights in the GH ? How is the bubble wrap holding up ? Cory you are definitely a wealth of knowledge as the rest of you guys . Maggy your husband's to funny , so did you figure out what dog your getting rid of ? Glad to hear electrician is going tomorrow progress is nice . Mikey you sound great . Bus story trying to get off the bus to catch connection my ear phone cord got tangled on some guy's 6x8 back sac biggest i have ever seen almost ripped both ears right off . Why do people have to use such large bags . Mikey you only live once buddy if you always wanted to have a tattoo then get one as long as it is not a mid life crisis thing going on . Love you guys . Oh last night I fell asleep at 7 .30 between Saturday night and Sunday night I might have had 5 hrs sleep ouch.

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just hate that when I write and it disappears. Now I have to start over,
    Brian, good to see you. I am glad you are not lost. Isn't Mike funny?
    I can't believe you missed that Cory is a girl. Blond hair, blue eyes and a 6 pack. LOL! She will laugh.
    Brian, you should write a blog about your bus adventures. Too funny and very entertaining.
    My husband can be witty. He has a very quick and dry sense of humour. Which dog to mail Mike's Mom. LOL! .
    You should see the two of them watching me write . How could I ever part with them. Never! Do you find you have to spell in front of your dog? Especially things like,eat,food, treat, car ,walk,pee, upstairs to bed,and people's names , they go crazy when I mention Connie, our dog sitter. Or puppy . Too funny.Where is the picture of Sugar. ? We want to see him. Did you see Mike's cat. That face is precious.
    It is so cold here today. Going to make Mac and cheese. Nice comfort food . Not healthy but we need it to feel better. See how I can rationalize.
    Finally the electrician will be here tomorrow.
    After seeing your turkey now I want one. I have a craving for it, and for leftovers Turkey sandwiches. Yummy!
    Hope you have a restful evening. Take care Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hello Maggy you sound good . Maggy when God was giving our brains I was at the very back of the line then I probably got out of line to have a smoke . Cory please forgive me just noticed today when Maggy and Mike kept calling Cory her or she oh boy . So Maggy your not the only super woman on this forum . Maggy turkey a la king tonight yummy . I brought turkey sandwiches to work yesterday and today they were so good . Maggy you will be eating turkey soon enough it's hard to believe thanksgiving is less then 2 weeks away and Halloween 4 weeks and I am not going there with Christmas . Your right Maggy you have to be very careful what you say in front of the pups . We can't say take because we both take turns walking Sugar . We can't say Costco , IGA because that means car actually everything means car just taking a shower means car . They are so smart and cute . Sugar also follows me everywhere I go I so love him . Maggy how is your Kishu doing has it grown much since . How is the blood orange doing is it stable now . I looked in the GH when I got home and to my surprise everything is starting a growth flush and flowers I guess the 90 plus temperatures that have been in the GH for the last 3 weeks is going to drive them into a frenzy , just what I don't want . No more room for new growth . It is fun to watch how they come alive with a little heat . Do you let it get hot in the GH ? Maggy got to go have to make the a la king . Talk to you later take care .

Brian Ps please Cory forgive me I am not to bright . I should be in the shed not the GH with the rest of my tools .

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Now wait girls and guys....I am the one with the six pack and almost blonde hair. well at leat highlights..lol
    Maggy, I think Brian has confused me with Cory and your dogs for my cat and your trees for my orchids and Corys orchids for my citrus...lolol..Does that make sense.I think that after getting hit in the head on that stinking bus and then the gas thing, Brian your mind is not all there...lol

Brian, just blame the mistake on gas poising and head whacking and I know Cory will have forgivness for you..lol

Brian, goodness, you are going ot be all turkied out even before Thanksgiving gets a start..Oh boy..
    I have no idea of how to cook a nice juicy turkey that is very tasty..A sort of a sweet yet garlicky flavor..Does anyone? Please share..I will cook one very soon if so.

Brian...............YOu are loosing it!!! What's going on on that bus??? Now you say Thanksgiving is two weeks away and then Halloween? Is that for Canada? I hope so and if not I am worried about your brain..Thanksgiving is NOvember 25 here and Halloween comes first.

Brian, where's the Pic of Sugar? I would love to see one..He sounds soooo cute.)

By the way, it was dark all day, just like a day in winter with mist and 50 degrees..80's just a day ago..Disgusting..I think I am ready for the cold now..I get tired of wishing the warmth would stick around.

You know, that guy that ripped your brains out, I mean your ear piece could of been a street bum..They carry bags the size of my shed..I once saw a guy walking up my street with a shopping cart loaded with cans..He could barely see over the top and the sides of the bags were almost as wide as my street hanging on the sides!! Well he drop one can and forgot to hold on to the carrage as it ever so slowely then to quickly rolled down my street hit a curb and flipped completely over strewning can all over the place,,He played thousand can pick up...I laughed but then felt bad too.It took us 30 minutes to put them all back together...

Hey speaking of pet dogs..Do you know what to call a dog with no legs?

Sheesh, you almost gave me a scare when you were gone again and now Cory is giving me one.. Well. I know we all get busy, but we are sure missed when not back within a day or two)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Oh Maggy...Yummm I can't wait to get that sauce in the mail...Hopefully it won't arrive as spaghetti sauce and box lunch....I think it will be ok. Oh, I can't wait to eat that stuff up! I have not had spaghetti sauce forever because I refuse to eat the ready made stuff in cans or bottles in stores..IT's too acidic for my stomach and tongue..Thank you again)

Maggy, that flower is on a cactus about 2 inches wide..No kidding..It's the cutest thing...

It is amazing how our pets know our speach or what we are up to..My Bo will not eat anything until I give him his soft food in the a.m..He will sit there and starte at me until I give it to him even though I gave him his hard food and fresh water.
    He waits in the window for me to get home to every night at 8 p.m. Then I am told he is sedetary all day until I walk in. After that he is running all over the place and trying to provoke me to play..Just like a dog..He even fetches the ball...

How about this one...Do they sense when they are about to go to the Doctor's..? Oh yeah..lol

You know. I already MISS the nice warm long days! I miss teh crickets at night and t-shirt weather..This is depressing and it is not even winter yet..Oh my, thank God for that greenhouse! I'll be spending much more time in there as compared to past.

I took off the shade cloth the day before yesterday and it took only one hour for it to jump from 70 to 100 degrees by noon..My goodness..I forgot the shade cloth holds the temps down..Don't forget to get one for when spring comes, you will need it for sure.
    My mother called me and said it reminded her of the Tropics in there, the smell of humidity and flowers..lol

Really, your dogs watch you write? Way too funny!You crap me up with the visions..Lol..I can nly imagine the personalities of them..You must have a blast. I think that is hwat my Mom needs now.

Hum...Can you show me a pic of your greenhouse? have we ever seen it yet? I would love to see the floor and the outside bottom of it too..Why did you put a floor?
    All I have in mines is a green grass looking outside carpet..Works wonders..
    I can dig holes in the floor of mine, plant stuff in the ground and keep beneficial bugs alive in there since the ground is a good haven for them. I never have mice issues and can hook lot's of stuff on teh outside of it. Not to say to that it's easy to get extension cords and plugs in there by going under the greenhouse and not have to go through flooring.

Please, take a pic and let us see what you are working with my friend.
    You know you could also use tent hooks, right? The kind you pound into the earth to hold a bungie cord to it.

I am so happy you are getting your Oncidium! That's great and potted..It's so easy to grow, but to flower a nice warm sunny window..They love it!

By the way, I am already wearing my sweet shirts..I love wearing them, but not this early...Goodness, I hope I make it though another lon series of cold days and sunless skies((
    I think we are all Vitamin D defficient and don't even know it..It's as live we live in caves from here until next spring when I can rip my shirt off and show off my Tatoo's...Wait, nice clean skin..ha

Speaking of pee, boy do I have to go..lol

Have a great night friend!

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Steve..Mice...??? Ny goodness, you could never ship them to me for I would be afraid they would be my bullfrogs next meal..lol

Speaking of mice, there were two white ones with red eyes walking around my yard for weeks this summer until I saw one dragged under the water by one of my frogs..The other has been missing in action since..But I hope it does not show up in my basement with others..lol
    Cats staying inside? Well, let's just say mine howls the whole time I am outside to be with me...too funny.

That tree is awesome Steve..It loves that spot..Good for you..I love it.

MIke

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Oh Mikey thanks for the good laugh buddy I have been laughing out loud for the last 5 minutes. You are a boy right and Maggy you are a girl right now Steve is a pretty manly name he must be a boy right . I even get confused with my name now there are so many girls named Brianna . Mikey I think I now what it is , I have not had costco hot dogs for the last 2 days now . Yes Thanks giving here is in 2 weeks because our harvesting is much earlier then your harvesting because of our dam cold weather . Now on the topic of thanksgiving why do you guys in the States start singing Christmas carols on Thanksgiving ? What do you call a dog with know legs ? A giant hot dog . Mikey today is the first cloudy day we have had in 3 weeks , it's been so beautiful here . Even today the sun came out at 2.00pm . 1000 can pick up funny story Mikey . We have enough of those people around here to , you should see on garbage night . We always keep our empties in plastic bags and when I see them in the garbage I give them all the empties we have , very sad . Always a pleasure talking to you buddy and give your mom a be hug for me .

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian and Mike. You two are hilarious. I am laughing out loud the way you tease one another.We have homeless here too but in Halifax there was a man I used to see every morning on my way to work, with his shopping cart collecting cans. Yes, it is sad.
    Mike, I wrapped your sauce well.taped the top with heavy tap and wrapped in bubble wrap and put cushioning in the box. Now let's hope customs doesn't steal it. I hope you like it. It is all roasted vegs and it is not a thick sauce. You can add it to other sauces, add vegs or meat or eat as it is. I like it by it self in pasta. And a little fresh parmesan on top. Simple but nice.
    Brian do you want me to send you a jar?
    Mike cooking a turkey is so easy. I can tell you how if you like.
    Now you have to get your Mom a puppy. It would bring her much joy and they always make you laugh and she would never be lonely it is a lot of responsibility but so rewarding.. Getting our pups was the best thing I could have done.your cat sounds like a dog. So cute. They have personalities. When we first got Teddy I was singing to him in bed. He put his paws over his ears . So funny. I guess he didn't like my singing.
    Say hi to you Mom and tell her I am routing for her.
    Brian you behave your self. You are giving me stomach pain from laughing.
    Cory, can you believe those two.?
    I showed you pictures of my greenhouse when I got it but that was awhile ago but here is another picture. The guy I bought it from had made an insulated floor andhe set it up for me. How do you anchor yours? I think we could put hooks on the base to fasten the bungee cords. What do you think?
    Have a great evening all.ahi Cory. Likely hear from you later. Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hello everyone here is a picture of Sugar on his birthday . I love him so much .

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG He is sooooooo cute. Adorable . I can see why you love him so much
    Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy . Thankyou so much , I love him like crazy . Where we go he goes . In six years the only time he's been alone is when we're at work. If there is anywhere he is not welcome we don't go , doesn't happen very often actually once everyone loves him . Maggy he has such a beautiful personality he is extremely social with other dogs he loves to play no matter how large they are and he is crazy about people . He sleeps on my pillow if he is to warm he will want on the floor . We have never feed him can food , what we eat he eats . He does eat a little dry food . He does not like junk food amazing every other dog I have ever had could not get enough junk food . He is never at the table while we eat , does he know something about my cooking I don't know about . I can't imagine a world without pets , I can't imagine my world without him. He is the secret to my success with citrus , there is never a day he misses watering them . Always a pleasure Maggy talking to you . Have a great sleep .

Brian

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

WHERE'S CORY!!!!!!!!!!! YES, WHERE'S CORY???

It's funny how much we worry about someone that is gone more than 24 hours, sheesh, but I am worried..I know Cory stands on tall ladders and does tons of stuff..I just don't want her to hurt herself..

Ok Brian, what a CUTIE!!! He looks like part poodle..IOm love him..Listen you can take him every where but at work and on the bus! Think of this,,pets are the only ones that stick by us even though we gas everyone else out of the room...He must be a ball of fun and love!

He must love watering with you too..I'll bet on those hot summer days you quirt him a bit too;;lol
    You know, I have never heard of feeding a dog people food but I'll bet they get better nutrition than the canned stuff...His fur looks so white and yes, hi eyes so clean which is a sign of good care and good nutrition..Just soft and cuddly looking and so snuggly!!

Thank Brian.Ha =ve a beautiful night my friend.

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Maggy, you are so sweet..Thank you for taking such care in packing my sauce..It should make it here just fine and be so tasty just as....My goodness, I can't wait to get it..

Mom would love to get a dog and she says hello right back at you!
    I'd put your pic upside up, but I don't know how Maggy..

Can you take pics close up of the bottom of the greenhouse and inside to focus on the bottom around the frame?

Many hugs from us here NIte

Mike

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Thanks Mikey . Off to bed I go or I will never get up tomorrow morning . I will talk to you tomorrow. . Hugs to the both of you . Have a great sleep buddy .

Brian

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian I can tell how much you love sugar and I can tell sugar adores you. A match made in heaven.. It is amazing how much personality they can have.
    Thanks for sharing his picture and telling us about him.
    I must get ready for bed now.
    Have a good sleep.
    Maggy

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Despite my aching back and neck i got back up on the ladder today and finished hanging those last 3 lights. Wouldn't you know I got them all up and was attaching the serial plugs to each end of the lights and I found out one light had two of the same ends. It took me several tries of taking them up and down one by one to figure out what was wrong so finally i just took them all down and hooked them up on the ground. I found I could make them work if I used the one with the wrong plug on the end. Of course it was the one that was in the middle so they all had to be moved anyway. But now everything is up and working as you can see in the picture. It is like daylight in there now.

I'm glad to help everyone with their orchid questions. I learn a lot about citrus trees and other stuff from you all. I read a lot and try to apply what I read to my orchids. There are much better growers than me. Mike, I buy flasks, community pots (compots), and plugs and grow them for our society for raffle plants when they get bigger. Maggy and Mike, I haven't had time to wrap up and send your plants yet With all the street construction going on it is hard to get out. Today they graded the front and took away a lot of soil and the tree. The utility companies will have to come to lower the fire hydrant and gas, water and sewer connections. They also brought one of those asphalt scraper trucks and took a layer off the street and filled the gap between the street and my driveway so my car is back for now. I think they will pave the street tomorrow. I don't know when they will be back to sift out the rocks and plant grass seed on the newly graded area. The slope to the street doesn't look too bad so far. I hope the grass has time to grow or it will be a big muddy mess all winter.

I love everyones dog and cat stories. They are all beautiful looking pets! They are all cutie pies. Steve, your tree is really looking great and growing fast now. I don't think I would care to have any of your pets though.

You guys really keep me laughing. Brian, your bus stories bring back memories of my commuting days. I am glad you can still laugh and joke about it. Your repartee with Mike has me laughing out loud. Steve, you are a riot too with your off beat sense of humor. Maggy, you join in pretty well too. Brian, I am glad to have you keep thinking that I have a slim six pack.

Maggy, i am glad your electrician comes tomorrow. You must be anxious. I remember the year I built my greenhouse. Although the structure was complete in early spring, the heat and utilities just finished in time for the first frost. Boy, was I biting my nails! I am glad you were able to find another Sharry Baby that is potted and in bloom. It will be nice to enjoy it for a while and learn about re potting it when it needs it. Our orchid society broke off from another larger society many years before I was a member. Some societies are very competitive and snooty, but ours is not. Everyone is nice and just enjoys bringing in their plants for everyone to enjoy. We have a great showtable every month, especially as we are a small group and many of the members are just windowsill growers. It is amazing to see what people are able to grow well under conditions that would seem not to be optimal conditions. You will enjoy it and learn so much there. You also will be able to get plants very reasonable and sometimes free.

I have 5 more trees to fit into the greenhouse. One is in a much larger pot and I am afraid it will be hard to fit in. The others will go on the stand in the middle and can grow into the peak. All the smaller trees are on the outer walls. Since I don't know how to post multiple pictures, I will send a few I just took in separate posts.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Another view from the back.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

A view of the inside. It is had to get a good picture so i will send a few.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Other aside interior.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

The center section where the remaining 5 trees will go on the white rack. Steve, the tree on the white rack is a seed grown Key Lime. It its a little over 2 years old. It has had only one flower so far and no fruit.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

This one may be a little clearer. You can see one of the gas furnaces and the hydrofogger in the back. It looks like day time in there now.

Cory

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

CORY, THAT DESERVES A HUGE LETTER OF PRAISE!!!!!!!!

I can't believe how nice that looks and just how much you got done..boy oh boy! I think you will have no problem getting anything to bloom in there nor any winter depression with all that LIGHT!!
    My god, between full sun even in winter and all that light, no wonder you get everything to flower..

I only get about 4 hours of sunlight now and maybe more once the foliage drops..I give up..I can't even afford to put lights on this year..I am hoping that just natural light won't hold them back((

What kind of lights did you put up? Can you take a pic of them while turned off?
    How high from the plants? Do they get hot and help with heat? How is the cost with them on?

I am assuming you really don't need them since you went years without them and your plants still look amazing...

I am wondering if it's ,more important for our orchids to get full sunlight as compared to winter?
    I can provide all the sunlight they need until they have to come in and then winter sunlight is all they get...

I am so happy to see you back and alive after doing all that. I am surprised you had enough energy reserves in your brain to come back and talk about it) I love the pics and the whole set up>>I NEED more of them hangers...I love it. Evrything looks so organized Cory. Spetacular job..Too, I was thinking..You gave them all enough air space to prevent disease..Boy, that would be my main concern, more than a blast of cold..

You have practically an Orchid store..Sheesh, maybe you should start selling a few and make your money back for expenses! Heat and light in particular..

You have enough room in there for me at least..I would roll out an camp back and sleep overnight in there for sure. I would make it humid and warm..I would release a couple of crickets for the sound effect, and turn on a thunderstorm C.D right in the middle of winter..lol
    I would make it feel like I am in the middle of a tropical rain forest...I love it!
    Listen, at night, I would bring a book, my Bo and a good chair, and just fall in love with that place for a peaceful night...Did I give you any ideas? lol

I would spend hours and hours in there whether day or night looking at every single plant I own...Oh, I would have fun.

I went to Walmart today looking for the clips and could not find any..lol Here we go now...I am on the prowl for paper cliips...I have to see whether you used the larger ones or small ones..I forgot.

Looks like you will have plenty of room for stuff in the center and still be able to walk around everything..That's terrific. I am beginning to think if you had to give up any plant species, it most certainly would not be orchids..lol I think orchids comes first on your plant loves..

My goodness, stunning Cory! Now, if I could give the orchid you sent me as much light! Goodness, I hope it does well..It has top shelf in my greenhouse..I will eventually get together with you so you can tell me if my orchids are situated right...

Thanks again for everything. After all that pain and suffering, it's worth every ounce to see what you have done. Everything came together just perfect for you and your babies.)

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Brian and Maggy and hugs to you too!

Mom says she loves you all. She is doing great today..I never heard her say she wants to go for a walk!

Brian and Maggy, your dogs are winners!! Lol. I love how they stick by you no matter what, even if the stomach acts up...lololol

It's raining here today..A COLD RAW ocean North East wind, since I only live 20 minutes away and just plain ole crappy..But we need the rain since we are in a moderate drought and my plants are looking like they are thristy, well below the root zones on all of them.
    The frogs I imagine they are dancing of some sorts and who knows what they are up to while I am at work...
    The fish, well they just sleep and pray I remember to feed them every morning. One with his mouth wide open until I hand feed him.lol

Gotta run my dear friends))

MIke

• maggyby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cory, Mike always worries that you have disappeared. But I have learned that you usually write late at night. I suspect that is your time to relax and have some down time. I used to be like that when I was working . I liked the later hours because it was quiet and I could think.
    I love the pictures of your greenhouse. The ones with the lights on looks amazing. I don't know how you do it. The inside is so neat and organized. ( I wish my house was that organized) look at all the plants in there and I know you have more to add. It is so big but then it is never big enough ,is it.?
    My little 6x8 looks so small compared to yours. The electrician is here as we speak wiring my greenhouse. I am pretty excited. Tonight it is going to be cool and by the week- end the night temperature will be only 34 degrees. Close to freezing. Now I will work on figuring how to get the solar cover Installed and will be all set.
    Cory you did a wonderful job, there is no doubt of your love of orchids. They are so beautiful, I was looking at the pictures of the mini's you posted awhile back. In fact I look at them often and dream .I saw a nice picture of mini's in a
    Container in a coffe tabe ,( picture) .I really like that
    I love your wire hangers. The hanging plants all look neat in there.
    Don't worry about sending the plants when you are bust.There is plenty of time.
    Cory do you keep your Christmas cactus in the greenhouse or is it too cold.
    I am very pleased to be getting a potted ocidium .I am pleased to find this group as they seem very friendly and their mission statement is having fun and helping newcomers as well as those more seasoned .. They are also a small group which is nice.The other group I am not sure about. .You have been very generous in sharing your knowledge and your pictures. I am sure the others would agree. And we always want to see more.
    I am glad to hear your street is getting put back together and you can get in and out of your drive away. It must have been difficult for you
    Hope you are having a good day. Take care.Maggy