Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calamondin and bees

Posted by gnappi 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 20:41

I like small citrus to flavor water and foods, but I like the fact that calamondin are rather happy in a container and the idea of possibly drawing bees to my yard also.

Since the calamondin is in bloom so much I decided to get one.

My question is, do bees like the flowers? I've seen a couple of bumble bees in my yard, but no honey bees, ANYTHING I can do to draw them in would be a great help... I've been hand pollinating and would like nature to take over :-)

Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calamondin and bees

Yes. Mine are planted in the ground and yes they attract bees. They bloomed early this year and the honey bees showed up around the time they were finishing. The big carpenter bees though were present and loved them. The honey bees enjoyed the later flushes.

Rob

o

Calamondins are self pollinating, and do not require bees, or hand pollinating to pollinate the flowers. The tree will pollinate itself without any outside help. However, if you wish to hand pollinate, it certainly will not harm the tree.

o

Gary, though your citrus needs no pollinators (aren't you relieved), it's still a good thing to attract bees and other such insects into your gardens. Bees won't come around unless you have plenty of nectar and pollen producing plants for them. Be sure to have an assortment of blooming annuals, perennials, and woody plants for them to visit.

Bees are attracted to nice sized groupings of the same plant, rather than one here and one there. Use an assortment all throughout the yard, and don't forget that some woody shrubs are fine bee attractors when in bloom. Holly, loropetalum, weigela, pittosporum, and abelia...just to name a very few.

Two perennials in my gardens are covered up with bees, butterflies and other pollinators when in bloom: Autumn Joy sedum, which is in bloom now....and Agastache, so attractive to bees that I call their pretty spikes bee-sicles!

Cultivated roses, by the way, are not good bee or butterfly plants.

It goes without saying, of course, that if you are intent on bringing bees in to your yard, you'll need to be a pesticide-free location, including systemics. Even so called 'organic' products must be used with care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here