Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is my tree dying???????

Posted by karanb1r 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 20:52

So I tried bark inlay grafting a while back and I failed. But many many many new shoots came out and I grafted onto them successfully. Now I was inspecting my tree and I see where I did the bark inlay, the wood is dry dry. but a few inches away there is green wood.

Now the shoots I have are growing GREAT.... no signs of dying but the actual stump from which they came out of doesnt look so good a few inches away from where the shoots are coming out of. Will the rest of my tree eventually dry and die out? or will my shoots continue to grow like they have been.

Here are a few pics. Please let me know what you guys think and share any experiences you might have.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

The shoots are vigorous growers but Ive been cutting back so more energy goes into my grafts :D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is my tree dying???????

seems ok-ish.

o

Haha... Thanks....

The tannish brown spot is the drying I'm referring to.

So is my tree dying?

Should I cut the dry part off and create a shorter stump but this time seal with tree asphalt orrr should I leave be because my tree is ok?????

Anyone have an idea?

o

Haha... Thanks....

The tannish brown spot is the drying I'm referring to.

So is my tree dying?

Should I cut the dry part off and create a shorter stump but this time seal with tree asphalt orrr should I leave be because my tree is ok?????

Anyone have an idea?

o

the top 2-3" is dead. usually the tree will seal off the dead areas. i'm not sure if you should cut it, can't see the other side, is that thick green branch on the right side of the pic coming off the stump or lower down?

o

The big branch in top right hand corner is coming off the top inch of the stump. That is my thickest branch. But I am willing to cut it if I have to

o

Anyone else have any input?

o

??? Annnnnnyone else???

o

Well. To me, it looks like you've taking a picture of a stumped citrus tree with some sprouting, some of which appears to be coming from above the graft line, and some below (can't really tell, can't quite see the graft line). Can you give us more history on this tree? Like why it was cut down?? You may be better off digging it up and simply replanting. If you can give us a better couple of photos, one a bit further back so we can see the full view of what's left of this tree, and then a close up of the graft line, to see where the sprouts are emanating from, that would be more helpful.

Patty S.

o

This is a mature tree, it was planted by seed, 35+ years old, it was cut down because the fruit was below par, there is cement around it so it can't simply be taken out.

o

Okay, so you're hoping to just use the sprouts to graft to, then. I think you should simply continue to graft to the strongest shoots that are pointing the right direction. You would eventually end up with a bushy tree that might have multiple citrus varieties, if you can successfully graft different varieties to the sprouts. I wouldn't worry about the dead part of the stump unless it starts to decay. If that happens, I would try cutting back the dead part and cut on an angle to allow for rain or water to drip off and not pool.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here