Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mercygarza_gw

Fading Meyer Lemon Tree

mercygarza
9 years ago

Hello,
I'm new to gardening and the forum. I would really appreciate some help w my lemon tree. I bought my improved meyer lemon tree about 3 weeks ago from Lowe's. I repotted the tree into a 12 in terra cotta pot. I water it every 3 days because it has been drying out quickly due to the heat. I fertilized it w a fertilizer I ordered from Amazon ( Dr. Earth Organic Natural Wonder). Some leaves have yellow spots and now some leaves are falling off. Many of the leaves have holes in them as well. I had one flower come up but died the day after it blossomed. I am not sure if I have it in the right size of pot or if I'm completely off on my care for it. The soil I used is fast drying soil, cactus/citrus soil. Any tips???? Thank you in advance!

Comments (14)

• mercygarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am only able to post one picture at a time so here are some others.

• mercygarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, guys!

• emachado19
    9 years ago

Is there 2 plants in the same pot? Or did you bury the trunk in the soil?

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

It is just from too much heat, too much hot sun...I would take it out of the sun so the roots can cool and do what they are suppose to do,

take up nutrients and water...Over heated roots do nothing but die and stagnate in a hot mix. Anything would expire in the heat like that. even me with wet clothes but without a drink of water day after day.

Mike

• mercygarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Bullieblack,
    It is just one tree. Do you think I put too much soil?

• mercygarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mike. I'm going to get try and find it some shade immediately.

• emachado19
    9 years ago

mercy I think the soil looks fine. I was just making sure you didnt have a rootstock taking over your grafted scion. I would listen mike as it sounds like good advice, maybe its just to darn hot. let us know how it goes.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

If that is just one tree, you have likely buried the bud union; and if that is true, the tree will die a premature death. Dig down carefully and if you find where the two "trunks" come together and raise it up so that that is above the soil line.

• mercygarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I sure will, Bullieblack!

• mercygarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Johnmerr,
    Oh my word! Hopefully that isn't what I've done. I will check that as soon as I can. I will get back and let you know what I find.

• mercygarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok guys,
    We tried to find the union. I'm not too sure what to do from here. Maybe we've even hurt it more trying to find it. What do you guys think? Please forgive us newbies!

• mercygarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you guys think we exposed the union?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Looks like two trees....perhaps cuttings rooted in the same container?

I would say be sure to cover the roots, but don't cover the woody trunk.

Mike's advice is good - get that tree some shade! Good grief, you just transplanted a Citrus in High Summer in Texas of all places! I'd expect damn near all the leaves to drop.

The yellowing leaves show a clear nutrient deficiency. Meyer lemons are notorious for that pattern. Whenever mine does that, it means it needs a serious dose of quality fertilizer.

Josh

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

You have already exposed the top of the rootball, I would bareroot and separate what looks like two trees to me. Care must be taken to not let the roots dry out during this process. Pick the coolest time of day and stay in the shade, spray off the soil from the roots and keep a bucket of water ready to plunge the roots in while you pot the first tree. Needless to say have the containers and mix ready, the 5-1-1 mix I think would be best. The mix should be made a day ahead and completely saturated and allowed to drain before use. After potting keep in the shade and wait a couple of days before before applying a weak liquid fertilizer, either Foliage Pro or a dissolved citrus labeled brand, no more than half strength. If you find you do not have two trees, I would sacrifice one. and save one. Two competing trunks in a container, I would not want. Calistoga Al