Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanngreen

large fruit falling. satsuma help?

MeanNgreen
9 years ago

Hello all
I've posted about this but was not able to resolve. My young satsuma which has grown about 15 nice size fruit is now starting to drop them one at a time.
Leaves look great just one fruit at a time seems to starting turning orange and develops what appears to be an oozing blemish that quickly grows and a week later drops that fruit.
I'm in myrtle beach if that helps.
I can't get in touch with local agricultural group. So thought to see if any one has seen this?
Thanks!

Comments (8)

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another fruit, same issue

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Just a guess...but check out "melanose" and see if it resembles your problem? Good luck, maybe someone here will know exactly what it is...

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus diseases

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Mean Green, I would send your photos into your ag agent. ANY ag agent. You have something serious going on, and you're going to most likely lose all your fruit if you don't get this diagnosed correctly and quickly. It looks fungal or bacterial to me, and it looks pretty serious. If you can't reach your ag agent, which I find nearly impossible to believe, try contacting your local Master Gardeners, or your state's Land Grant college (that would be the college/university that sponsors the Master Gardener program, and is your main "ag school" for your state). I believe for you in S. Carolina, that would be either Clemson. South Carolina State University may also be able to assist you. Whatever is infecting this satsuma will eventually spread to your other citrus. I wouldn't wait around on this forum for an answer. Another option is to post your photos over on the Citrus Growers Forum. There are a number of expert hobbyist/professional citrus growers from the east coast on that forum:

http://citrus.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=citrus

Sorry I can't be of more help - this to me appears to be an "east coast" issue, probably related to your higher humidity, and something we just don't see here on the west coast.

Patty S. (Adv. Master Gardener, Indiana 2004)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Best guess... insect damage from grasshopper, katydid, maybe snail... followed by a fungal infestation at the damaged site. Pick them off, treat your trees with a good fungicide; and then with a good systemic insecticide, such as imidacloprid.

9 years ago

I think I'm agreeing with John, here. It almost looks like there is some some sort of mechanical damage in the middle of some of these lesions. Not all, though, but being in such a humid area, you are always having to watch for fungal infections. We just don't have that kind of humidity out here in S. California, so I just do not have the experience with the myriad of fungal things that can affect those on the east coast in the citrus belt. What John has recommended will cover everything, most likely, if you cannot get a swift diagnosis.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Hmmm!! Patty is agreeing with me... so it is a done deal. LOL Sometimes these issues are really not so difficult. Note, prevention is better than cure; for our field trees we treat several times per year with topical/systemic fungicides and insecticides; for that we seldom have any significant problems apart from occasional localized infestations that are easily treated. Our "secret"?? someone looks at every tree every day; his supervisor looks at every tree at least weekly; and I look at every tree at least once per month. Because of that policy, we do not wake up one morning with an infestation that surprises us.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty and John,
    Thank you guys for taking the time to save a tree..
    Are there any particular fungicides and insecticides that you would recommend for the satsuma?
    Are they items I can get at Lowe's or home dept?
    Mean

9 years ago

I would expect a commercial operation to be very proactive, since you have SO much invested in your trees. That way, you don't end up with something could be potentially fatal and tank the business. Makes perfect sense. Most hobbyists tend to be more reactive in their approach to maintenance of their home orchards. Not completely, as we usually fertilize regularly, and most of us treat for things like CLM regularly and proactaively. But, much beyond that, we usually find ourselves having to react to something, rather than apply a lot of chemicals on a regular basis. Sort of the whole reason for growing your own fruit - the opportunity to have a more organic option. I do agree, though, with looking at your trees on a regular basis. Maybe not every day, but certainly every week will help to stay on top of issues that can pop up. If I were a commercial orchardist, I would certainly adopt a maintenance plan as John has done - daily walk through the orchard with several different "eyes" on the trees. One person can miss something. 3 or 4 people most likely would not, and you can hop on an issue rapidly, to nip in the bud, any serious issues that may have taken hold in the orchard. With the constant threat of HLB, this reallly is Best Practice for commercial citrus growers.

Patty S.