Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punky1991

how are my calamondin and Meyer lemon looking?

punky1991
9 years ago

how are my calamondin and Meyer lemon looking?

Comments (11)

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've had them Since July the calamondin is the first pic and hasn't grown any since I've had it the second is the lemon which just had a flush I think.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

They both look like they may be planted too deep. If they are grafted trees, you have probably buried the bud/graft union, which will mean an early death for them.

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No there cuttings?

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i confirmed with the nursery they are grown from cuttings?

• krismast
    9 years ago

You don't say where you're from. Is there any way they can be put outside? What kind of mix are they growing in? The pots look too big for such small plants.

Kris

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in Missouri. It's the miracle grow potting mix. OK so I moved soil and it's at the bottom of there truck

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one is so much more green then when I got it

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what do you think?

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

I think it's hard to tell anything for the last couple of pictures, they are just too dark and blurry.

But they look OK from the first few pics. Those pots may be a little too big for the small plants, and with miracle grow potting mix, they will probably take a long time to dry out to just barely moist. At just barely moist is when to water again. You will need to take a thin wooden dowel like a chop stick and stick it in down near the bottom to tell if it's still too damp to water or if it's just barely moist.

Being greener than when you got it is a good thing, but like I said above, with those larger containers and that soil mix, you are going to have to be very careful not to over water. You should probably look up "wicking water" on this forum and try that method to keep the soil from staying too damp. And next spring probably re-pot them into a 5-1-1 mix which will drain better than the Miracle Grow mix, 5-1-1 is also talked about on this forum.

I think you said once before but I don't remember, but why do you not have them outside in the summer where you are? Summers in Missouri should be great for citrus, though you will need to bring them inside for winter.
    If you are in an apartment and have no outside area, put them in front of your sunniest window and maybe get some good grow lights to supplement light. They will grow more with more light.

Lastly I don't know what your mean by this sentence;
    "OK so I moved soil and it's at the bottom of there truck"

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had them outside for summer but its getting cold at night now

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

I think that cute worm face looks pretty wet, and if his face stays that wet for more than a week, it would be a good idea to downsize your pots until next spring)

By the way I think it was very kind of Barb to give you good advice..Thank you Barb..well said)

MIke