Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bichons9

Find Root graft? Satsuma/Lemon Trees Producing Tiny Seed Balls

bichons9
9 years ago

My mature excellent producing Satsuma and Lemon Trees produced very small fruit-like dull looking balls full of seeds. The taste is very bitter. I use them to freshen my garbage disposal. And FYI- I will freeze them for spring and then attach the little balls to little wires used for Xmas ornaments. Then, I attach them all over my plum and peach trees to divert the animals--IT WORKS!!! Sorry, back to my quest for help.. One expert suggested that because many trees are grafted, I verified his description, that the long very thorny stems with 3 leaves are producing these little balls. Instead of having hundreds of lemons and satsumas, i picked only 2 satsumas and no lemons this year. It was suggested that damage from over pruning (not) or cold could have damaged the trees. Because these are not immature trees, very thick with stems, I don't know how to locate the graft site at the base of each tree. Look for a knob? And then, if the shoots are coming from below the graft, cut them off and leave the normal part of the trees to produce fruit next year? I do trim the trees but not very much since I thought that some of the immature shoots are simply new growth. And so, how do I find the graft site to perform the cutting of the shoots off above the root stock? I see part of the tree that grew the 2 satsumas do not have the same # leaves as those 3 leaf thorny shoots do. My lemon tree has all thorny shoots with hundreds of those fuzzy seed balls. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The balls are NOT bugs as suggested on some forums. The trees do not have long trunks-never have but will get into the tangled mess and search if I could at least view some photos of where/what the graft site looks like or receive some simple instructions to locate the graft, so I do not kill the poor trees. I am assuming the trees have graft sites?. Thanks for reading my story!!

Comments (5)