Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should you prune Satsumas

Posted by information texas (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 21:32

I have read on the Internet not to prune citrus trees and not to thin the fruit. They say it is unnecessary. I have followed this advice and am thinking it is wrong. The branches of my Satsumas are so heavy that the fruit rubs on the ground.
I have read not to cut the lower branches, because they are needed to protect the trunk from freezes. The main leaders grow so long that they bend over and touch the ground.
Does anybody know what to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should you prune Satsumas

My rule is I prune/thin anything that touches, or will touch the ground. Fruit on or near the ground invites all kinds of critters and diseases.
You can prune citrus anyway or shape you like; the only thing you have to avoid is pruning up the limbs so as to expose the trunk to the sun; in hot climates the trunk can sunburn and it will eventually kill the tree.
Citrus in general are self thinning; but some varieties like the Meyer and apparently your tree will keep too many fruits if left alone; the result may be smaller or less sweet fruits. I am a fan of thinning when it is obvious that there is too much fruit on the tree.
Here is a foto of a Meyer that is obviously too much fruit.

o
RE: should you prune Satsumas

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 4:06

Wow! That looks like a bunch of big, green grapes! What do you feed your tree? Those are beauties.

I was talking to an old-timer the other day and asked him about pruning citrus and he said much the same thing as you just did. He said you can shorten the branches, but not a lot and prune off any wild growth sticking up into the air if you want, to keep a nice rounded shape to the tree and keep it lower to make harvesting easier. He told me to make sure not to let the branches, or fruit touch the ground.

Vivian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here