Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

Can citrus winter outdoors in 7b

Can I winter citrus out doors in zone 7b without it dying. They will have heating pads under them and I will turn on two small space heaters at night if needed. The padio faces west and blocks off north winds do u think I have a good chance.

Comments (10)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

In container your chance runs about 0%. even your hardiest citranges would suffer root freeze damage and would not be able to supply nourishment to the foliage. You'll spend a lot less electric using lights indoors. The trees will grow.all winter. Citrus tree do not go dormant.

Click on the pic bellow to open my photo bucket display and use left and right keyboard arrow key to look around

{{gwi:39597}}
    Hold 12 trees in 5 gallon pots and uses 12 CFL's at 13 watts each. The heat put off heats the house so no energy lost

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bring them in is not an option so much I live in apartment and got carried away lol. I might have to green house the deck lol I hope few others chime in on this. Ure box looks great and wish I had room for it. It rarely gets below 32 here but sometimes we have freak winter where its 10 degrees for a day or two. I would 911 bring them in on nights below 30 degrees worst case I can take them to my moms house use guest room and daylight clf it like no tomorrow. I have until November the 15th to do something accorded to the 45 day forecast it will not go below freezing until then.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Bring them in is not an option so much I live in apartment and got carried away lol. I might have to green house the deck lol I hope few others chime in on this. Ure box looks great and wish I had room for it. It rarely gets below 32 here but sometimes we have freak winter where its 10 degrees for a day or two. I would 911 bring them in on nights below 30 degrees worst case I can take them to my moms house use guest room and daylight clf it like no tomorrow. I have until November the 15th to do something accorded to the 45 day forecast it will not go below freezing until then.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

line them up in a cloths closet with a few brooder lights over them. The big problem with container citrus is that the roots get to cold for good health. Bringing them in every night allows the root to warm up to a good temperature for a good start every morning. your inclosure does not have to be like mine. It can be custom fitted to free stand on your porch.

{{gwi:39904}}
    I'll be using trash barrels this year to accommodate my larger tree.

{{gwi:39907}}
    Seed grown meiwa kumquat tree goes inside for light and warmth

Good luck. I got 9 trees, about 8 too many.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I got 14 trees use to live in California could grow outside there but not here lol.I might have to take them to bed with me to keep them warm lol

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Nothing wrong with having plants in the bed room. They cleans the air and brighten the room considerably.Just use about 10-20 CFL's at 23 watts (100W equivalent incandescent).. You will have a nice bright room and the bulbs will warm the room to the tune of 460 watt heater. Use daylight or bright white bulbs only.

• arkberry
    10 years ago

I live on the border of zones 7 and 8(zone 7 starts 10 minutes away) and I have been successful keeping potted citrus outdoors. I have kept some outside and some in a plastic greenhouse. I have had zero issue with satsuma and cold weather. My large Meyer was in greenhouse and it did ok, but not great. For the outdoor trees, there were several nights I covered with a sheet. I bring the lime indoors and might bring the lemons inside this year. If you are going to have a cold night take some precautions.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank u I'm useing heating pads and wind block

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

You are on the borderline.. some covers, some heat they can surely survive. You don't say what kind of citrus... some are more tolerant than others.
    If I were you, I would opt for outside with protection and heat as needed.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisbon lemons Gold Nugget Mandarin Tree, Washington navel kumquat Myron lemons red grapfruit and key limes.