Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Please share your potted citrus with us...2013 # 2

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

This has been a beautiful year for all of us citrus lovers in pots! Let's keep this going on right into winter..

I'll post more of mine once I get a few moments to take more recent pics..:-)

Mike

Comments (46)

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    10 years ago

Kind of in transportation shock _its a gold nugget Satsuma

10 years ago

Key lime 3 months old I have 15 tree but don't have picks of all

10 years ago

In ground kumquat in north Ga

• makalu_gw
    10 years ago

A now 2 year old Kaffir lime (I got it last April - grafted plant) that has just come inside. A little surprised that it's holding 5 fruit so early.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Makalu,

Really! A kaffir in fruit!?

Can I see a close up of the fruit..I would love that..Is it grafted tree? I want mine to do the same so bad..
    It's such a beatiful tree. I love mine. I noticed they grow very well...

Tcamp..Thanks for the nice pics...Gotta love em! Nice pots too...

Mike

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

My babies partying in greenhouse NOT.Very
    cramped in there , but they are safe from all
    the frost we have been having lately.Believe or
    not there is a huge palm tree in there way at
    the back of the greenhouse.

• garret_87
    10 years ago

Just set up the grow light in front of a sunny window (150w HPS). There are 10 lemons ripening and the tree is about 6 years old.

10 years ago

New Meyer lemon 6 bucks clearance pot 2 bucks lemon free :-) just repoted it tonight.

• makalu_gw
    10 years ago

Mike - here you go ... it's a grafted plant on Flying Dragon rootstock. Fruits are about 1.5 inches in diameter. For me, the flowers came in clumps - very similar to the Meyer - and since I wasn't sure if they would self-thin I took a scissors to all but 1 in each cluster. Now, if my leaning tower of Meyer would have put out such a nice distribution of fruit I'd be set!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Very nice, everyone!
    Hello, Mike! Thanks for starting up a new Thread...the last one was taking forever to load! ;-) We'll catch up soon. And I'll try to take a few pics of my citrus.

Josh

• illidanx
    10 years ago

14 month old key lime tree I grow from seed.

This post was edited by illidanx on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 12:43

10 years ago

A very attractive seed-grown Lime!

I've got two pics to share...the first is my Moro blood orange. I've left ten fruits on the tree, which I think it can support.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey josh..Wow...I can truly believe how nice your tree looks! You are a truly successful at growing in the gritty mix and using the right fertilizer...

Such an awesome job pal...I can't wait to see the next pic..I remember when you did not even own a citrus..So glad you caught the bug.

MIke

10 years ago

And this is my variegated pink Eureka lemon. Last year it was brutalized by a buck, and took all this year to regain vitality. When I noticed new growth, I chopped off the top two feet to bring it back down to a more compact canopy. All those bare branches have since filled out, and the new leaves are looking better than ever.

• tamela_star
    10 years ago

I just got a limequat on sale for 19.99 at a local garden center.

10 years ago

Thanks, Mike, it was all your doin' ;-)

Tamela, looks as though the tree needs some help...different soil, less water, more nutrients, less nutrients. Those pale new leaves are an indicator.

Josh

• tamela_star
    10 years ago

I just bought it today and the leaves look lighter in the photo. It looked healthy to me and my husband. We picked a couple of fruit off of it and it has more than a dozen that are almost ripe.

10 years ago

Seedlins

10 years ago

Ok that all

• Suzy11
    10 years ago

This is my calamodin, about 2 1/2.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

My sweetlee tangerine trees #1 and #2 are inside for good till next spring. They get a bucket light setup to provide light from midnight to 4pm for 16 hours of light. The trees are kept dark for the hours between 4pm and 12 am.

{{gwi:629725}}
    At midnight the lights will be placed over the sweetlee trees and the two kumquats go in the box gutter. They will be brought in at 4 pm and placed under the bucks as shown now till 12 am

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Suzy beautiful calamond. I like your roller. I had one when I was a child. We would tie a rope to it and a bike and my friend pulled me down the street until I got stuffed under a car. I got out a bit banged up. My friend grabbed the roller and we took off in a hurry. as for the driver, the police had to call an ambulance to take her to the hospital. The only prof she had was we could not get the rope from under the tire.

Brings back good memories of childhood fun. I think I buy one for my trees.

Here are 2 fortunella trees that spend all day out side and are brought in at 4pm and given axillary light for winter time. They stay inside at night to keep the root base warm and active and are placed outside at sunrise. Nagami is 9 months old, meiwa 1.5 years.

{{gwi:629726}}
    Seed grown nagami bush & meiwa tree

I'll post picture of my last 2 sweetlee trees when they come in 2 - 4 weeks from now.

Steve

10 years ago

Howdy!
    Mike, I mentioned the other day that I would take a pic of the Meyer Lemon, and here it is. Definitely potting in 5-1-1 next Spring, eventhough it was re-potted not too long ago. It's a nice tree - vital, but not vigorous. I wonder if the fact that it is on its own roots is slowing it? I've heard that Meyers aren't as vigorous on their own roots. Perhaps you or John could comment.

Josh

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

here are some of mine.
    key lime and Armstrong satsuma 15 gallon
    {{gwi:606411}}
    Meyer, 15 gallon
    {{gwi:606406}}
    Fukushu Kumquat, 15 gallon
    {{gwi:50465}}

I noticed quite a few of you have yours inside already. Are you having frost/freezes already. our lows this weekend will be in the low 40's and honestly I wont loose a bit of sleep about my trees being out in it.

Mike

10 years ago

Nice, Mike!
    Our nights have been in the 40F's, and all my plants are still outside, too. No frost here until the first or second week of November, typically.

Josh

• Ryan
    10 years ago

Nice looking trees mike!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I have no risk of frost at ground level but my rooftop gets frost at 39 F. The ground level gets frost at 31 F but has no sunlight at this time of the year. My sweetlee tangerines, at 50 lb are too heavy to move up and down 35 feet of ladder. The 2 inside permanently had budded over so I aclimated them for inside. The other 2 are in growth spurts so they stay outside in my box gutter (easy access to window for frost danger ). My 2 kumquat tree get the out side in sun and underlights for more light and a warm room over night for warm roots. I am also dealing with 2 trees at a time.

{{gwi:629727}}
    The rear end view

{{gwi:629728}}

2 Sweetlee tangerine and meiwa trees with nagami bush all from seed.

10 years ago

Josh, Ryan. Thank you for that. You 2 have some nice trees as well.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Meyer lemons grow fine on their own roots. The big if comes down to whether it is from a seed or a cutting. A cutting from a mature tree will fruit much sooner than one from seed. It will also be true to type. They need a loooooot more feeding and more light than other citrus. Looks good

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike....A truie testimate to one who know swhat they are doing! Fantastic work and such beautiful trees..Look at that fruit...

Wouldn't you just LOVE to be able to let them grow as big as they want in pots you can lift?

Josh....You brought up a great question and I think it was brought up before but ever proven or quite answered growing in pots....I know it has it's advantages using grafted in the ground, and the only advantage that I can think of for pots is size control...
    I hope someone can tells us the facts on this.
    What I can tell you is that I see no difference on mine whether it's grafted or not...They both do very well if happy....
    I would certainly try a mix that holds nutrients longer and see what happens.

Personally I think you are doing a good job..I would give it some time, feed more, and do not disturb the roots for a while longer.

Steve, thanks for youur pics...Looking green..

Suzy. of course I had to climb the side of my computer to look at your tree straight on..lol Looking great!

Tcamp..Those are some nice trees you have there. Wait until they want to take over your home.

Tamela...Yup..Follow Josh's recommendation.,You got yourself a great deal..Keep learning and it will be very green one day. Beautiful looking Satsuma.
    Thanks for sharing.

Garret! Nice..I'll bet your stoked..Very nice.

Makalu..I had no idea! I am so excited now about mine....I hope to get fruit like that some day soon..Don't the leaves smell heavenly when squished between your fingers? Thank you

Orangelime...Lol..The party is almost over..Now to keep them happy while they are bored indoors..ha...Great job.

Nice pics everyone..I will be back with a couple of mine soon..

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The meyer lemon is a small more of a bush citrus. Its roots will do fine in a pot. If it is seed grown you can graft a meyer twig on it to get true to fruit. If it is a rooted cutting the root will spread wider than a seed tree would. Look at making a versailles planter. they are very inexpensive and upsize much easier than pots. you can also use a halved 55 gallon drum. drum wheels are common. If you get skilled at it you can roll a 400 lb drum on its edge. or you can get a drum roller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwr4vnPRpXk

drum roller above below planter plans

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.thedesignconfidential.com/2011/06/free-woodworking-plans-to-build-a-rh-inspired-large-versailles-planter

10 years ago

Thanks!
    Yes, this Meyer was grown from a mature cutting and it has flowered several times and even produced delicious fruit - which I enjoyed with some whiskey :-)

I will re-pot into 5-1-1 which holds nutrients longer, as Mike mentioned. I've been fertilizing this tree with 1.5 strength foliage pro, and it is definitely hungrier than my other citrus.

Josh

• queensinfo
    10 years ago

Here is an updated pic of my Meyer. It has exploded with growth over the last month and a half but now is getting a little too left heavy and has started to lean. The new growth is all the lighter green. It seems as though staking the tree is frowned upon here but I may need to so it doesn't rip out if it gets windy. I want to prune some of the longer limbs, especially the tallest one, but it has nice branching towards the top. Is it better to prune in the spring or does it not matter? Can I just plant the cutting into a pot with 5-1-1? Should I just let it be and turn the pot 180 to evening out? Looking at this picture, a lot of leaves are curled. I wonder if from the really hot last couple of days

Thanks to all here for the assistance over the past year.

• wjp4140
    10 years ago

limes getting bigger

• wjp4140
    10 years ago

pink lemons

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

illidanx

Just checking back to see if I missed anything. At 14 months old that is a very impressive tree. Let us know when it flower and fruits.

Steve

10 years ago

Nice trees Wjp

I almost pick up one of the pink variegated lemons myself.

Mike

• Suzy11
    10 years ago

Wow some nice trees.
    Here is a picture of. My calamodin today with fruit

• Suzy11
    10 years ago

This is my Meyer. About 11 months. Grown from a seed in TX and sent to pa

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Let's hear it for seed power. It won't produce true but you can graft an improved meyer lemon to it and that will produce true and sooner. Nice calamondin now that it's straighten out its act and grows vertical. You might try grafting a calamondin twig to the meyer lemon. It may trick your meyer lemon into thinking it can now fruit. Grafting is a piece of cake if your hands don't shake. I use to do it a lot.

Steve

• garret_87
    10 years ago

I am also growing a meyer lemon from seed. Just a baby now. Have never grafted but I would like to study it this winter and try my hand at it. In the future could I graft a green twig from my mature Meyer lemon onto this seed grown Meyer? My mature tree has one branch (8 month old) that I have marked to cut off and grow as cutting or graft. This branch is growing much higher than I want the tree to be so instead of cutting and throwing away I am curious if I can use it to make a new tree.

• TonyQ
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of my lime-tree (actually two trees side-by-side) that I grew from a lime picked off a tree on the Island of Bequia seven years ago.
    It produced two small limes -size of big grapes - 2 years ago.
    Each winter there is a lot of die-back, but this year it now has dozens of blossoms.
    What should I do to encourage more, and bigger, limes this year?

• raisefire
    9 years ago

Meiwa kumquat. Going on its third summer and it has grown probably 6 inches this spring. In the middle of its first bloom and second flush. It hasn't held on to any fruit yet. Hopefully it will this year.

• starloc
    9 years ago

This is a calamondin that I havent had that long, I bought this last year for about ã20 on ebay I saw the price and obviously had to buy it to go with my other citrus trees.

It had been left outside for the winter as the owner couldnt move it there was a lot of damage to thin branches and they had chopped a lot of bits off to try nd remove it, this has now mainly recovered and it seems to be quite healthy and improved a lot since I bought it in July 2013

The seller had owned it for over 25 years and said the owner before him was a nursery that was closing. They had used this at the nursery as a display item and for taking bud wood from for about 15 to 20 years or more before that and it was just as big when they bought it from another nursery , he thought it was from reads nursery initially

I have this now in Bulgaria , it spent the last year in a house in the UK with 600w metal halide lights on it.

It seems much happier now its outside in the daylight.

9 years ago

Wow nice trees
    Trace