Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrizo rootstock

Posted by arkberry 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 22:10

Looking at a blood orange on corrizo rootstock. I am not overly familiar with this rootstock and have not seen a lot of posts or data. Has anyone had any expience with this rootstock or can point me in the correct direction (my current plants are all flying dragon). It will be a container grown plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrizo rootstock

I have considerable experience with carrizo; it is susceptible to Phytophera... not a problem in containers; it is a full size rootstock, not dwarfing like flying dragon. For a container orange I would opt for FD, or Cuban Shaddock, which Four Winds Growers uses. There are others; but for a container I don't think you want a full size orange tree...of course that could depend on the size of your "container".

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 21:28

I have a Moro blood orange on Carrizo, it was in a 5 gal container and, since I don't have a spot in the ground for it yet, I just moved it to a 15 gal container. The trunk is 1 1/2" just above the base.

Johnmerr, do you have any idea how this tree would do if I left it in the 15 gal container for a year or more? It's healthy looking, has about 5 fruit on it. The potting soil in the original container was pretty heavy, sand and something else. I washed some of that off, and am using a Supersoil and pumice mix in the 15 gal container.

o

jb...
I am not a container genius... lots of people here are.

I am sure they will answer here to help you.

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here