Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How cold hardy is Juanita Tangerine for real?

Posted by treeguy123 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 22:25

How low can a mature one take and have no more than about 1/4 branch die back?
I've heard they can take 13F and I've also heard one report of 0F (but that maybe a false rumor).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How cold hardy is Juanita Tangerine for real?

The Juanita is a seedling cultivar of Satsuma; so it should tolerate short periods of 25 F, or lower if covered.
The important thing to remember about cold tolerance... not only for citrus, but for all plants is that the empirical number, e.g. 25F is not so important as the other environmental factors. Dew point (a measure of air humidity) too low can mean the plant will stand less cold; if the ground is moist, the plant will tolerate lower temperatures; if you have good air drainage it helps; if you plant in a low area the cold will "settle" there (as they say in golf, air, water, and golf balls all flow in the same direction); the duration of the low point is equally important; the longer the low temp, the less the plant can withstand it. Exposed -vs- protected; against a warm wall for example means the microclimate of the plant may be warmer than the ambient temperature; if there is vegetation under the tree that raises the effective orchard floor to the top of the vegetation. Sometimes even a very small attempt to protect the plant can make a big difference; in Northern California, on the coldes nights I used to just throw a sheet over the tree and hang a 60W lightbulb in the branches.

o
RE: How cold hardy is Juanita Tangerine for real?

Thank you for the good info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here