punky1991

placing bowl's of water and pebbles next to your plants

punky1991
9 years ago

Would that help any with humidity?

Comments (8)

• krismast
    9 years ago

Probably not by much. A good way to keep your humidity higher is to keep the room cooler in winter which means less dry heat running. A humidifier running would do more to increase humidity.

Kris

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

in the great white north... the problem is usually.. that there are furnace ducts at the windows you need to put the plant in front of... so you are damned if you do.. and damned if you dont ... forced air heat is a very big problem in winter... whats your system ..

you havent given us much info... especially as to size .... on a small plant.. i would put it in the tray below .... not to the side ...

and then there was the time.. i increased humidity for the plants.. and by january ... in z5 MI .. had a half inch of ice.. on the INSIDE of the windows... at that point.. i had to rethink too much humidity .. lol .. but that was the old house with 1950s windows ...

you might want to try the houseplant forum .... never know where you might find a kernal of knowledge ... this isnt particularly an issue directly related to your specific plant....

good luck

ken

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh i heard they need high humility? I got a dwarf lemon and a dwarf orange tree. Actually theres not a furnace duct at the window they are at it is clear on the other side of the room and we usually use the fire place mostly which is in the living room the trees are in my room.

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The lemon is a Meyer and the orange is a calamondin. They are grown from cuttings. I also have 2 10 gallon fish tanks not far from them will that help with humidity too? Do my plants need high Humidity?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

No, citrus do not require high humidity. If that were the case, they would never be able to be grown commercially in California. Not sure how this rumor continues to persist out there. The caveat, however, is inside a house during the winter with forced air heating and no humidifier will create an exceptionally dry climate. So, for all your house plants (and for you), it does help to have a whole house humidfier. When I lived in N. Indiana, we had a whole house humidifer attached to our furnance. It helped to keep winter inside humidity more normal. No, your fish tank would not make much of a dent. I would simply keep them as clean as you can (take them into your bathtub or shower, and shower them off occasionally, along with all your houseplants - keeping them clean and dust free helps to reduce spider mites from getting a foothold).

Patty S.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

No, citrus do not require high humidity. If that were the case, they would never be able to be grown commercially in California. Not sure how this rumor continues to persist out there.

==>> WAG ... wild guess... peeps read info on how to root cuttings ... which need humidity as there are no roots to process water.. so all water is provided by the leaves ...

and then once they have a rooted plant.. they continue to think.. the rooted plant needs high humidity ...

looking to ma nature.. is one of the simplest ways to predict variables you are dealing with ... spot on quilty ...

OP the punky said: Actually theres not a furnace duct at the window they are at it is clear on the other side of the room and we usually use the fire place mostly which is in the living room the trees are in my room.

this is so confusing.. you have no duct in your room??? .... and are you saying you heat by burning ... that is a whole other level of lack of humidity ...

i am suspecting you are in a more temperate area than i was presuming.. where are you ...

ken

• punky1991
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the vent is not by the window its on the other side of the room? there is one in there but its not by the plants. No lol i live in missouri it gets very cold during winter.

• writtenonwater
    9 years ago

For my calamondin, I've been told to get a huge transparent garment bag and put it over the tree (with spritzed water every day or so). But I haven't tried it yet since I just got the calamondin.