Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Total Leaf Loss - How to recover?

Posted by MattByc 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 23:11

I am growing citron (similar to lemon) in plastic containers outdoors in Arizona. Just left town for a week (September) and had neighbor promise to water them. Unfortunately, they weren't watered while temperatures soared to over 100 degrees.

The plants suffered from significant dryness, compounded by a nasty spider mites infiltration.

A few of the young trees lost ALL of their leaves and they are looking rather sickly/yellow.

I watered the soil, sprayed them down with horticultural oils, released ladybugs, and am now at a loss as to how to ensure they recover. This has happened before, and the plants died and did not recover.

What if anything can I do to spur their regrowth of leaves at this time of year (end of summer)?

I know I should avoid fertilizing with anything, even though I feel they could use nitrogen (those with some regrowth show a nitrogen deficiency in the new leaves). Can it help to prune them? If so, how and by how much? If I prune, is there anything (like a cream, vaseline, syrup) to apply to the tree?

Thanks for your help! If this has been discussed earlier, please point me to the discussion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Total Leaf Loss - How to recover?

I just heard of a similiar situation and the recommendation was to encourage root growth more than nitrogen for leaves, if it doesn't have any leaves you could burn the plant because it doesn't need much. A bit like burning a seedling.
Don't remember the name of the root growth product.

If it lost everything the plant could be toast no matter what you do.

o

As long as their is life in the twigs and branches, then they will recover.

I would use a good root stimulator and water it properly. Keep them in a very sunny morning or late afternoon location and watch hope it comes back.

Let's just hope they didn't dry them out so bad, that the roots dried out severely, or died. The roots will just not work and rot away as soon as water touches them.

If you start loosing branches, cut them off leaving the good ones behind. If you don't loose any, keep them on. If you loose them all, then, it's over:-(

Mike

o

Thank you for the advice.

I will try some root stimulating Superthrive. Has anyone used this product? I am bit skeptical but it was the only such product at my local hardware store.

o

Super thrive is Vitamin B1. Vitamin B1 has shown that in some lab tests it can stimulate root growth. However, every study I have every seen done on plants planted in the garden, B1 doesn't make a lick of difference.

o

I would suggest you invest in automatic watering system, they are fairly easy to setup and inexpensive. This way you don't have to rely on anyone to water. Program it, test it, and you are good to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here