Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattbyc

Total Leaf Loss - How to recover?

MattByc
11 years ago

I am growing citron (similar to lemon) in plastic containers outdoors in Arizona. Just left town for a week (September) and had neighbor promise to water them. Unfortunately, they weren't watered while temperatures soared to over 100 degrees.

The plants suffered from significant dryness, compounded by a nasty spider mites infiltration.

A few of the young trees lost ALL of their leaves and they are looking rather sickly/yellow.

I watered the soil, sprayed them down with horticultural oils, released ladybugs, and am now at a loss as to how to ensure they recover. This has happened before, and the plants died and did not recover.

What if anything can I do to spur their regrowth of leaves at this time of year (end of summer)?

I know I should avoid fertilizing with anything, even though I feel they could use nitrogen (those with some regrowth show a nitrogen deficiency in the new leaves). Can it help to prune them? If so, how and by how much? If I prune, is there anything (like a cream, vaseline, syrup) to apply to the tree?

Thanks for your help! If this has been discussed earlier, please point me to the discussion.

Comments (5)