Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rblythe_gw

Lemon and Lime leaves cupping upwards/inwards

rblythe
10 years ago

My 3 potted dwarf citrus trees are cupping upwards/inwards. I suspect this may be due to over or under-watering...probably over-watering. Their pots are plenty big enough and the soil is the 5-1-1 with softwood bark, peat moss compost, perlite, and 1tbsp of lime. The trees are all on a porch and they get 6-7+ hours of direct sun a day. Since the leaves are cupping so uniformly, I don't think it is insect action.

Here you can see the issue:
http://www.druble.com/wall?d=1lf

I have a moisture meter that reads from 1 (dry) to 10 (wet). When should I water based on the meter? Should I wait until the soil has completely dried out and hits 1 on the scale? Or should I water it again when the soil is just on the drier-side...3 or less?

Comment (1)

• Clm128
    10 years ago

you should water when the top 2 inches are dry to the touch and what i usually do is check if it is dry at the drain hole as well, and ill only water then. the moisture meteres are okey but they dont actually measeur moisture but rather the electro cunductivity of the water/ medium. if you put one in a glass of distilled watter it would read dry while a glass of tap water would read wet. also i read in one of al`s posts on container theory that when the dirt is dry to your touch it is still at about 50% of its water capacity and a plant can abstract water from it down to around 25%.

search tapla and look for his container theory and water retention post its very intresting stuff