Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnvirginia

Kumquat Advice?

tnvirginia
11 years ago

I have a small kumquat in a pot and I have some questions:

I've brought mine inside already, but now I'm reading that they can withstand temps in the 20's? Can they? Should I put it back out?

When is the best time to repot?

Any suggestions for type of pot? I have it in what I thought was a sturdy plastic pot, but it has gotten brittle over the years.

Thanks for all of your help!

Comments (5)

• Doglips
    11 years ago

When you see a max low temperature for a plant that usually refers to an in-ground plant. Potted plants can't take nearly as much cold, they don't have the earth to act as a heat sink.

The sun eats plastics.
    A lighter colored pot whatever it is, cooking the roots can be a problem, but you are in zone 7 so, less important. I use namely terracotta (not the dark brown ones), but I read quite a bit about people not liking terracotta, prefering some of the fiberglass pots. I like terracotta because it is durable and it breathes a bit, and unfortunately heavy. Some people rave about air-pots, never tried one myself, the theory seems sound. It seems that if you go air-pot you almost need to put it in a rigid pot as well.

I don't know kumquats fruiting cycle, if you are blooming or fruiting I'd hold off, wait till after. I wouldn't repot in any case if you are going to keep it outside, wait till spring.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Plastic is actually preferred, Doglips, or resin/fiberglass. Their are intrinsic problems with terra cotta (can get way too dry, too fast, especially if using something like a 511 potting mix, heavy and hard to move, break easily, can cause salt buildup from repeated fertilizing). Light colored plastic pots will not "cook" your roots. Even dark colored ones for the most part perfectly safe. Almost all plastic outdoor garden pots have UV protection chemicals, so they're not apt to break down very quickly. I have black plastic nursery pots I've been using for 20 years, now, in my hot sunny area. The operative word here is "outdoor". If you're using an inexpensive indoor plastic pot, no guarantees :-) I have many potted plants here in the hot S. California sun in plastic pots and they're just fine :-) MeyerMike posted a very interesting and informative message a while back, comparing his trees in terra cotta pots versus those in plastic pots. A pretty telling tale. You might want to search for his post and check out his photos. I use plastic and resin quite a bit, as they are lighter and easier to move, and I also use glazed ceramic, but will usually need to use my dolly to move my bigger ones. For me, not such a big deal, as my container citrus stay outside year 'round, but for those that have to cart their trees back and forth, weight becomes an issue.

Yes, container citrus for sure do not have the benefit of the warmth of the soil to protect them from serious temperature drops. Just because a citrus tree can withstand brief temp drops below freezing, those comments are directed at citrus in the ground, not in containers. I would bring your container citrus in during the cold nights, and back outside during the day. The key with citrus is to give them as much direct sunlight as possible. Kumquats tend to fruit pretty much all the time, but of course more heavily during winter months. My calamondins are covered in ripe fruit right now. Re-pot when your kumquat tree is getting root-bound.

Patty S.

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

Even though kumquats are more frost hardy than other citrus trees, leaving them out in a pot when it gets below freezing is not a good idea. Fortunately, I live where frost is seldom a problem. If you need to repot, go to a slightly larger size. I waited until I picked the last fruit before repotting mine, and it has new green fruit now. When you repot, be sure to tease out any roots that are growing in a circle, girdling the root ball.

Here is a link that might be useful: repotting a kumquat

• tnvirginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the advice! I'll wait until it's done fruiting before repotting. I guess I'll do a more thorough job of checking if the next plastic pot is an outdoor pot.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Virginia...Kumquats will thrive in cold temps, but problems arise once they're brought indoors.

One example is leaf drop. If 'quats/citrus are left in the cold for prolonged periods, (especially 20's) they'll adapt, but once brought in a dry, stuffy, lower-light house, leaves can drop.

Also, roots can freeze, 'depending on length of time left out in below-freezing temps.'

Even though my 'quats/citrus were left out in low 30'sF this year, they're now in a cool green house..less chance of felled leaves. Squashed together though..lol..

It's better you keep your 'quat inside until spring..Or during warm, sunny days, bring it outside a few hours.

Good luck, Toni

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner