Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How often should I water this grapefruit tree?

Posted by slithytove 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 07 at 1:44

My new apartment has a grapefruit tree. It's about 15 feet tall and pretty scrawny. The landlady says nobody's cared for it at all in quite some time. She said it'd be nice if I took care of it, and suggested watering it twice a week, but that sounds pretty excessive to me...

I live in the SF bay area; the temperature rarely gets above 80 degrees, and there's usually some moisture in the air. I'd be inclined to give it a really deep watering once a month... Does that sound right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How often should I water this grapefruit tree?

The best thing you can do is get to know the tree in its environment. The humidity in your area should be a plus. Outside trees can be watered every 5 to 14 days depending on the climate at the time. The whole thing is don't keep the ground around the tree soggy all the time - citrus rootballs need air as well as water. When you water it, soak it and then let it get fairly dry before watering again.

When temps are high and evaporation is quick (spring and summer), water more around every 4 to 6 days. If temps are lower and less evaporation occurs - more around the 10 to 14 days. Texas A&M has a great site on outdoor citrus care.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor citrus care

o

Thanks!

o

How about if you change the word 'water' in the above (very good) posting to 'check'? Watering should never be thought of as a calender event, but taken care of on an as needed basis.

Drenching frequency can vary widely, depending entirely upon the vigor of the plant, kind of plant, kind of container, size of the container in relation to the plant, temperature, relative humidity, kind of potting medium, condition of root system, time of year, sunlight, and MORE! ;-)

It's important, too, to water thoroughly each time, and then let the soil begin the drying cycle all over again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here