Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

lisbon lemon lemon question

My Lisbon lemon tree has always been healthy this is its first fall/winter outside the lowest low has been 55 so far. It has started to bloom now however a few of the older leaves have falling off maybe 5 or so over 2 weeks.The newer leaves are really dark green However the older ones are pale green to yellow veins with darker green leaf meat. I know about deficiency and use jacks citrus feed Epson salt and calmax mixed in low dose. So I don't feel its a deficiency my question is it the change in weather,the leaves are just old or am I worried for nothing.

Comments (15)

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Better pic of. Yellow veined leaf.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 2:01

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

perfectly normal. although citrus are evergreen they will shed older leaves. I assume you will be bringing it inside somewhere. If so slowly start moving it into a more shaded areas to acclimate it to lower light levels. That will help avoid more leaf loss.

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm protecting it with heating pad and mini green
    house when it gets colder.

• DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson
    10 years ago

Planted a Lisbon lemon last fall (2012) and it did not make it through the winter. Low temp about 27. Replanted another this past spring. Hoping it has had a chance to establish well this time and survive Tucson winter temps. I thought the lemons were fairly cold tolerant. Anyone care to comment on the cold tolerance of Lisbon? This picture was taken last month (September). It has done very well since planting. Fed every couple of months with Arizona's Best Citrus Food, and have applied Foilage Pro a couple of times.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm still slowly losing leaves have not changed anything in careing only the weather has changed. Are lemon trees really just sensitive to cold changes it hasn't dropped below 50 degrees yet I have a heat mat under it set to 75. So what gives..the guild to libson lemons says they can take down to 32 degrees before they get sick. it's only the really old lower leaves its losing. Top leaves are very healthy and dark green .

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm still slowly losing leaves have not changed anything in careing only the weather has changed. Are lemon trees really just sensitive to cold changes it hasn't dropped below 50 degrees yet I have a heat mat under it set to 75. So what gives..the guild to libson lemons says they can take down to 32 degrees before they get sick. it's only the really old lower leaves its losing. Top leaves are very healthy and dark green .

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    10 years ago

DocHollywood: Bummer about your lost Lisbon! Maybe the growth was too fresh or it was too young?

I have several Lisbons. And, as yours, they are planted in the ground rather close to the house or a solid fence. The planting location does offer some thermal protection. They made it through multiple nights of 22F and two at 19F this last winter. [40-50F was the typical daytime temperature range]. All new fall growth was destroyed and any fruit more than 18" above the ground as well. They are indeed rather tough.
    [edit]: Having said that, I emphasize that the low temps i state were not for long periods of time.
    - George K.

This post was edited by Becauseican on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 23:39

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

No, lemons are towards the bottom of cold tolerance as far as various citrus cultivars go. And remember, that 32 degree mark is for in-ground citrus, not citrus in containers, whose roots are not protected by the insulating factors of soil. Basically, this is the rundown of cold tolerance of some of the main citrus cultivars, from most cold tolerant to least (not including citrus crossed with trifoliates which for the most part, are inedible):

kumquat
    Gold Nugget mandarin (has withstood severe cold temps at UCR Citrus Variety Collection better than any of their satsuma mandarins)
    satsumas
    calamondin
    sour orange
    other mandarins in general
    sweet orange
    grapefruits/pommelos (Bloomsweet grapefruit is particularly cold tolerant)
    lemons (with the Meyer lemon being the most cold tolerant and probably up there with sweet orange)
    lime (Mexican/Key limes being particularly intolerant)
    citron

Having trees on trifoliate rootstocks will also help to provide added cold tolerance.

Patty S.

• DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson
    10 years ago

Thanks Patty. Good and concise information. Attaching a picture of the previous Lisbon after it's first winter and is now of course replaced with the new Lisbon. Keeping my fingers crossed. Micro climate in effect to a point.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Oh boy. Hopefully you'll cover this lemon if you end up with temps below 33 for any sustained period. Yikes.

Patty S.

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Patty! Always nice to see you, and I myself really appreciate all your input. This time of year especially for me. I just dragged in myTango mandarin, and what was my small rooted Meyer lemon cutting that I have now had for 2 years, and BTW, it has now quadrupled in size and is loaded with flowers and small lemons!

Anyhow, I.M.O. or from my observations, it seems as that my lemons, and grapefruits are the most cold hardy, but when I still had my keylime, it also with stood temps below 40 degrees. I got that tree from Roberta's and I thought it was a pretty darn good tree except it never held fruit, and then it stopped blooming all together on me, so I ditched it.

Last night temps were in the high 50's,, but it rained again. Just when I had hope that all my rootballs were pretty dried out from the last heavy rain spell we got hit AGAIN! I usually welcome these rain showers but heavy rains and cool nights are my worst nightmare this time of year. I just dragged in my newly aquired Tango mandarin. These cool nights have my poor trees all confused. For example, my Ruby Red grapefruit is in full bloom, and now it appears that Tango is also trying to bloom for me. Can you tell me when is the usual time it would bloom?

Next week we are supposed to get hit with a cold snap, and temps could hover around 35 at night. That is a little to close to freezing for me to be comfortable with leaving ANY of my trees outdoors, though all of them handled 37 degrees just fine a few weeks ago. I suspect though that having them right up almost against the house has kept them a little warmer.

Thanks for your input again Patty. Hoping everything is good on your side of the country :)

Andrew

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lemon tree quit. Dropping leafs the fruit has took off growing now.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lemon tree quit. Dropping leafs the fruit has took off growing now.

• masokealzafa
    8 years ago

My lisbonhas survived -3 Celsius that is freezing it is in a pot when I took it outside a week later we got this cold snap