Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Citrus Trees

Posted by az_pamperedchef 9AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 2:44

After working hard at getting my "orchard" going it looks like I'll be moving! I'd like to take some of my smaller trees with me when we move (probably after the 1st of the year). These trees are citrus and figs, but I'll ask about the figs in the correct forum:

Kishu Mandarin (in the ground about a year)
Moro Blood Orange (in the ground a couple of years)
Persian Lime (in ground about 3 years, but has not really thrived at all)

My question is, is it possible to remove the trees to my new home and how much damage will I create by removing them? None is more than 4' high and around a 3' canopy.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Citrus Trees

Well, you're picking one of the best times - fall going into winter. And, there will certainly be transplant shock no doubt, that will be unavoidable. They are pretty large trees, believe it or not, so try to get the largest root ball you possibly can. Wrap in wet burlap, try NOT to pick up the tree by the trunk (this can damage feeder roots), but pick up the tree by the bottom of the rootball. Re-plant as quickly as possible, water in well, and after about a week, water, then fertilize with 1/2 strength fruit tree fertilizer (low N) to help stimulate root growth. Figs should be dormant when you try to remove them and replant them.

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 9:53

o

Dig the root ball at or slightly beyond the dripline of the canopy and about 2 feet deep. Ground to ground the same day, they should survive with minimal damage. Plant them at the same depth or slightly higher; and If it were me, I would give them a shot of B-1 along with the watering in; it is sort of an insurance policy and encourages root growth; it is available at most nursery and garden stores.

o

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how it will work for me because I'd like to get the trees out before I list my house. Otherwise, the trees will be expected to go with it, but the advice only considers digging them up and replanting that same day, which isn't feasible. Would it work if I dug them up and put them in pots?

o

You can try that, see if you can find the large 1/2 wine or whisky barrels, since they're wide and not so deep. Two re-plantings, though, so expect some transplant shock. Vitamin B-1 has been dispelled as a root stimulator. Don't waste your time or money.

http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/vitaminb1androotstimulators.html

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda chalker-scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Vitamin B1.pdf

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Garden/beware.htm

Better off with a low-nitrogen fertilizer (something for blooming plants, higher in P & K) at 1/2 strength, once planted back in the ground, and adequate water.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here