Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Anyone ever hear of the Citrus Tiger Navel (citrus sinensis)?

bonechickchris
11 years ago

I was curious if any of you citrus guys have ever seen or heard of the Tiger Navel? It is a variegated orange with green stripes on the fruit. The leaves are also variegated as well.

I have a variegated Pink Lemon tree, but I have never heard or seen an orange like this before. Here is what I have only been able to find about it

"The unique �Tiger Navel� is grown for its distinctive looks and sweet, delicious fruit. The fragrant flowers become the most unusual fruit; these navels are yellowish-orange with green stripes. The foliage is also variegated. This slow-growing Navel Orange tree bears reliably when grown in a pot. The fruit is exceptionally sweet and tasty."

Comments (24)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

I'm guessing this is just the Cara Cara that has sported to a variegated branch, and the vendor has managed to graft enough to sell. Cara Cara is known to sport variegated branches, and the fruit on those branches is also variegated. That would be my guess, anyway. They didn't mention that the flesh was pink, so it could be a different variety. But worth asking the vendor if this is indeed, the case.

Patty S.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a Cara Cara, but it still young. It had one fruit on it for the first time this year, but the tree is still too small IMO to fruit yet.
    So, Cara Cara sports off a variegated fruit at times? I did not know that. That could definitely be the case.
    Here is a link to the picture of it incase you want to see if it looks similar. Ths is the only place I can find it for sale. I have only seen it in one other picture in someones collection online. I thought maybe one of you tropical regioned growers might have seen one before.
    Have you ever seen one?
    Thanks, Christy

Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger Navel

11 years ago

Yes, Cara Cara frequently sports variegated branches. So does the Fukumoto navel orange. You'll have to ask Logee's where they got their budwood from. And yes, there are plenty of variegated citrus out there, Jack, but not so many variegated oranges that also have variegated fruit. I would love to have a variegated Satsuma! Is the fruit also variegated?

Patty S.

• jacklord
    11 years ago

Still to young to produce fruit, but the mother plant did.

11 years ago

Well, Jack, be sure to post photos of your variegated citrus trees, especially any fruit too. They are so interesting!

Patty S.

11 years ago

Christy, and further info from Logee's about this variegated navel orange? Like what was the original variety that sported this variegation? I know it's not from the Cara Cara, but curious what cultivar this actually sported from.

Patty S.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HI Patty,

Actually, I wound up ordering the Tiger Navel, it was my birthday last week, and I was getting a few others too. I also saw it in their new catalog I just got, and it said to order early since it was rare and they only had so many being new.
    I just got it yesterday. I went online today, and was going to ask some more about it and now I see it is not on their site. I guess they sold out already? That was really quick.
    I was going to ask if it was a sport of Cara Cara, but you think it is not?
    Should I just ask them what it is a sport of?
    Christy

11 years ago

I would ask them from what navel orange did this sport from? It is definitely not a sport of the Cara Cara, but could be a sport of a Washington Navel or a Fukumoto navel (the latter, which frequently sports variegated branches). Let's see if Logee's will disclose that. They may prefer to be secretive about the source, but it would be nice to know for citrus hobbiests.

Patty S.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty,
    I just asked them online using their IM feature. First, I found out it is not a grafted tree.
    THen I asked them what sport of navel it could be from, and this is the answer I got
    "I'm really not sure, sorry. The horticulturalist hasn't given us that information"

I am pretty sure it was just a regular worker at the computer answering the question as quickly as possible since we were communicating online. Perhaps if I sent an email to the owner, I would get a better answer, or you think they are dodging the question? Very curious now!

I wonder if anyone else bought it at the forum. It did seem to sell out very quickly for something with not much info about it.
    What do you think? Christy

11 years ago

I think an email might get you the information, or another dodge to the origin of the variegated sport. I am very curious, so let me know if you do ask. Let them know you're not interested in trying to compete with them, just a citrus collector and curious as to the origin of the fruit. Most variegated citrus are on own roots, as they can revert back to all green from the all green rootstock, so that's why it is grown from a rooted cutting.

Patty S.

11 years ago

So, Christy, any luck getting Logee's to tell you what navel tree their Tiger Navel is a sport of??

Patty S.

11 years ago

Christy, just checking back to see if you ever got Logee's to tell you what variety the Tiger Variegated Navel came from? Just curious.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

If none of you ever find out, I will keep you in mind the next time a visit soon.

I have a couple of wonderful friends there that work the front desk and that do not answer the phone, a girl very knowledagble in every way, and I will ask her:-)

For anyone that owns one of these..LUCK YOU! They are beautiful.

11 years ago

Ah, thanks so much, Mike! I am obsessing over this cultivar for some odd reason. I must stop obsessing!! Sure appreciate this :-)

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Lol....lol...:-)

11 years ago

Christy or Mike, bumping up this thread. Did either of you happen to find out what the original source was for this variegated navel orange? What the original non-variegated cultivar was? Curious minds are still wondering, lol!

Patty S.

• veggie_girl
    10 years ago

I found this post by search as I saw this on their website and wanted more info. Did anyone find anything more?

• northbay12
    10 years ago

I recently purchased a Cara Cara Navel orange with a variegated branch, could it have possibly been just a sport from the Cara Cara?

10 years ago

It is possible, but Logee's will not divulge where their 'Tiger Navel' sported from. So, it's a mystery for now. Mike was going to see if he could find out next time he was over at Logee's, but don't think Mike has had a chance to get over there.

Patty S.

• veggie_girl
    10 years ago

Well I ended up ordering one. What are the light requirements for veriegated citrus? I have a vegiegated pink lemon, it's out in full sun now but not sure if that's right.

• krismast
    10 years ago

Veggie girl

All citrus should be in full sun. And remember to always acclimate your plants to full sun gradually over a few weeks. It helps prevent massive leaf drop.

Kristopher

10 years ago

Actually, variegated citrus do appreciate a little respite from strong afternoon sun. You'll know if your variegated citrus is suffering, as it will appear sunburnt. If your tree is in a container, simply place it where it will get some shade during the hottest hours of the day. Regular citrus prefer as much sun as they can receive, but will manage pretty darned well even with a fair amount of shade. Citrus are very adaptable trees.

Patty S.

• Denise Becker
    5 years ago

Anybody buy one of these lately? Somebody on FB received one of these yesterday and there is no information on it anywhere online.