Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potted lemon - one long branch

Posted by granolaeeter SC 7b/8a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 6:37

My Meyer Lemon is growing one straight stick - straight up - no side branches.
A little background: I planted it in the ground outside early this year. After a couple of months it, and an orange, had not grown AT ALL. So I put both in pots and they took right off. The orange is doing well but the lemon just keeps growing straight up. They were both tiny, about 6" tall, and now the lemon is about 3 feet.

Do I need to top it off to encourage branching?

Any info appreciated - these are my first citrus.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potted lemon - one long branch

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 9:52

If you want the tree to be taller at some point, and your pruning and branch managing skills are sufficient to allow you to select and train up a new leader at a later date, removing the growing tip of the branch (apical meristem) will indeed force back-budding and a fuller tree in the immediate future (tree time). ;o) If your pruning skills are a little suspect, it might be better to allow the tree to grow to 2/3 of the height you envision it being maintained at, and terminating it at that point. That allows the canopy in to provide the additional 1/3 of the height.

Al

o

I had to remove a rogue branch from my Blood Orange a few months back.
Since it wasn't integral to the structure of the tree, I pruned it off without much thought.

If you can provide a picture, I'm sure that Al could brainstorm a tentative pruning plan.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 14:12

About truncating the stem at 2/3 of the o/a ht you'd like the tree to be, I meant to say - 'That (plan) allows the canopy room to fill in and provide the additional 1/3 of the desired height'. Sorry - don't know where the missing words went? ;o)

Al

o

Thank you so much for your responses. I have never been very good with potted plants but I'm going to try very hard to make a go of it with this one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here