Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marian1976_gw

Meiwa Kumquat Dying

marian1976
9 years ago

Hi guys,

I bought a meiwa kumquat tree about 2 months ago and I worry that it may be dying. The leaves are drying up and falling off - mostly at the bottom of the branches. They used to have a certain luster, but now they do not. They alll look browner and tired. At first I thought that it was normal for the leaves to fall off (after all, winter is coming), but now I found a dried up, brown branch and I am starting to get really worried.

My kumquat tree is indoors, by the window and at night I put it under a (blue/red) grow light. It never gets cold. I give it plenty of water and the soil is almost always damp.

1. Am I overwatering?
2. Did I give it too much fertilizer?
3. I did find tiny white mites in the soil (not on the plant), but I killed those with diatomaceous earth.

What should I do?

Comments (6)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Have no idea if you're overwatering, we can't see the soil. But, I'm betting this is the issue, since you had "white mites" in the soil, which were probably fungus gnat larvae. Diatomaceous earth won't kill them, but there is a great organic product called, "Gnatrol" that will. You may need to apply it a couple of times, but it is the most effective product I've ever used against fungus gnats. I would re-pot your citrus tree using a better potting mix. Search for "511 mix" in our forum for a perfect potting mix recipe for indoor citrus. As much light as possible, south or west window and additional full spectrum lighting is excellent. Fertilize with 1/2 strength Dyna Gro Foliage Pro with every watering, and then in the summer you can move to full strength when you can move your tree outdoors.

Patty S.

• marian1976
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am grateful that. But, just to make sure we are talking about the same type of mites...

The ones in the soil of my kumquat tree are tiny. I cannot really see them when looking at the soil. But when I blow a bit of air at the top of the soil, they all start running around like crazy. They are about 1-2mm in length and are of shiny white color.

• ocelaris
    9 years ago

ditto what patty said, too much water. But really it's in a moisture retentive soil which will rot the roots. More plants are killed by too much water than too little.

azatrol is what I have used in the past for soil critters, it's a concentrated neem oil, where as gnatrol is a biologic microbe which targets some bugs. azatrol knocked out the fungus gnats for me in 2 doses.

But really what's happening is your roots are rotting so your plant can't absorb nutrients or water so the leaves shrivel up and die. Root health = plant health! I'm not sure it's bugs, usually the soil bugs are just annoyances, and unless you see spider webs (spider mites) or scale on the under side, chances are you just have a bad soil.

Here's what I would do in your situation. Gather the parts for the gritty mix, get a 4 oz of dyna-grow neem oil, 1 gallon sprayer. remove all soil from the plant (wash it off) then spray down the entire plant in the shower with neem oil (including roots), Then repot in gritty mix, wash the dust out, and then spray 2 more times at 2 week intervals. Water with foliage pro every few days.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Marian, what I'm describing are not mites. Those are in the arachnid family. They are most likely fungus gnats, in the fly family. They are teeny teeny tiny. Mites do not live in the soil, they live on the undersides of leaves and will form tiny webs. You are clearly describing fungus gnats which will proliferate when your soil is too wet. They can eventually kill your tree. Either that, or root rot will, which is probably what's slowly killing your tree at the moment. And ocelairs, thank you for the other option. On my arsenal list. ocelaris has suggested Gritty Mix. Either one will improve your draining issues with your tree, but in any event, you must re-pot right away. And treat for fungus gnats as well.

Patty S.

• serge94501
    9 years ago

If I sprayed neem oil in the shower my wife would kill me and stuff me in a 1/2 wine barrel between the cocktail hybrid and the variegated calamondin.

• marian1976
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grateful to all of you. I re-potted the tree in 5-1-1 mix after washing the roots with azatrol. Fingers crossed!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH