Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madferret

Octobers Seedling pics

Mad Ferret
12 years ago

Hello just thought I'd post the latest pics, though not much change from last time.

Regards

Nick

Here is a link that might be useful: October 2011

Comments (7)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Nice work, Nick!
    My Pumelo seedlings were just re-potted, and I'm hoping they'll pick up some speed soon.
    My fault, of course, for keeping five seedlings in a 3-inch plastic pot for most of a year.

Josh

• Mad Ferret
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol, yeah that's not a good start Josh, but I'm sure they'll pull through. A couple of mine are suffering a bit of nutrient deficiency, which I expected with the mixes I used, which are all slightly different. Probably surprisingly for me at least, the best mix was what I use for my chillies and thats peat,perlite and vermiculite. I'm sure as they get older it'll be a different story but we'll see.

I've actually just started a satsuma off which I'm hoping will do well as I love satsumas, way more than regular oranges.

The only problem is I'll have to wait 10yrs to see anything. Well except the kaffirs, which will end up stripped on a regular basis. :)

I actually tried pomelo for the 1st time the other day (of vietnamese origin) and it's a strange thing I'm not sure about. I may have to keep trying them as the one I had was quite bland. It'd be amazing to grow in the garden as a talking point though.

Regards
    Nick

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hey Nick!@!

I have been lost in action. I have been enjoying the weather too much around these parts lately.

Looking very nice. They are some great looking seedlings there.
    Hey if you are in your 20's and 30's, I would say you might have a real good chance at seeing them fruit! The only thing is this, I think you are not suppose to cut the tree short due to the node count?
    That kills any chance of letting them grow past the ceiling.lol
    Maybe an expert can tell us what happens if you keep cutting it back. Does this affect the node count and the ability for seeedling to flower down the road?
    Great job Nick!
    Time to feed some good fertilizer, right?

Josh, something tells me that you favor your grafted ones over the seedlings...lol
    Still, great work for getting anything, three at that out of seeds. I must also say that I can see you having no problem since you are a pro at starting Avacado from seed too.

Mike

12 years ago

Thanks, Mike, the seedlings are doing much better now ;-)
    They just needed some root-room and some consistent fertilizer.

Nick, I started my seeds in the same mix in which I start my chile seeds, too!
    And they're now in the 5-1-1 mix in which I'm growing all my larger chile plants.

Josh

• Mad Ferret
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in my mid 30's so hopefully I'll see some fruit eventually but I'm not just doing for that anyway.

The weather here is very wet atm but it doesnt seem to be phasing the citrus at all and the temp is a consistent 15C.

How is it over there?

Regards
    Nick

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

It has been extremely beautiful Nick.

They said the chances of getting over 80 degrees with crystal blue skies all over New England for three days in a row, especially in October and over the 3 day holiday is like hitting the lottery jackpot. It just never happens here and probably will never happen again. The beaches were packed like a July 4th weekend!

Hum....I don't grow mine at all for fruit, but for appearance and fragrance. I think I would miss the fragrance part though starting from seed. The mature flowering ones take the only sunny room I have available in any sunny room:-)

Hey Josh! Chile peppers eh? Yum! The weather must be very cool where you are about now?

Mike

12 years ago

Howdy, gents!

Mike is correct - it's really cool here in northern California.
    It is 62F (17C) at 7:00am in the morning, very damp and dripping from yesterday's rain.
    We've had two significant rains this month already, amounting to nearly two inches of rain.
    When I drive out to work, I see the Sierra Nevada mountains are white again with snow.

All of my plants are outside still, and I let them get a thorough rain-soaking.....

Josh