Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jettagrrl

Citrus Mealy Bugs

jettagrrl
10 years ago

Hi all,

In September I purchased two indoor potted citrus - a Meyer Lemon and a lime. I noticed right away, after I got them home, that the lemon was dropping leaves. I thought that it was due to the change in lighting conditions or that there was too much of a temperature difference between the roots and leaves, so I moved them.

Just a couple of days ago I noticed that the lemon has a mealy bug infestation. I tried to remove as many bugs as I could with a cloth, sprayed the tree and leaves with a water bottle then applied a solution of Dr. Bronner's and rosemary EO diluted in water. I also sprinkled Diatomaceous Earth on the soil. Yesterday I picked off more bugs and located 2 cottony nests which I also removed. I then swabbed the whole tree, including the undersides of most leaves and the leaf nodes, really well with rubbing alcohol. The plant has been isolated away from any other houseplants now. This morning I noticed the odd small mealy trekking around the plant.

I have a couple of questions, though. Should I continue to try to treat these mealy bugs, or is it going to be a losing battle? The lemon tree is taking up prime real estate in my sunroom right now! Should I go the natural route of neem oil and insecticidal soap, or something with chemicals and then keep in the bathtub for a couple of days away from pets and children?

The lime tree looks healthy, but it was in such close proximity of the lemon that how could it not be infected, especially since the lemon was at the stage of harbouring 2 nests? Should I be treating this one as well?

If I do pitch the tree, how long should I wait before I start introducing other houseplants back into that space?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (2)