Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More watering mystery and yellow limes

Posted by ohiojen none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 10:11

Hi, all,

Want to thank you all again for your help with moving my trees indoors (I've only had them since the spring and they are my first citrus babies!).

Now they are inside, seem well adjusted, everyone looks happy although they aren't growing, but I'm expecting that they will mostly do that in the summer when they are outside.

Couple of strange things. When I first brought them in, my soil was definitely too wet - in fact, I waited over two weeks for it to dry out enough to water them (checking frequently), which was totally unacceptable. I tour full time, though (I'm a musician) and I couldn't re-pot right then. Busy season. I watered them last Tuesday, left again, and went to figure out the re-potting thing today. They were almost totally dry. I should have watered them a day or two ago. This is what was going on this summer when they were outside - I had to water about twice a week. Could it just be that they had an adjustment period? They were losing leaves right after my husband brought them in because we didn't know to do it gradually. Maybe they were using less water then, and now they're back to normal usage? Thoughts?

My Meyer also had a ton of little fruit and it's all dropped. I'm a little bummed, but not surprised since they were setting when we were doing all this change. Is this anything to worry about?

One more - my bearss limes are all turning yellow. I know this is normal for some limes - is it for the bearss? How do you know when to pick a lime? When I pick apples here in Ohio, it's pretty easy to tell when they're ready, you shouldn't have to work very hard to get them off. I know the citrus on my grandmother's tress in Florida was always harder to get off, but I don't really remember. We just picked when she told us to. :) If I tug gently, they're not going anywhere.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More watering mystery and yellow limes

It is the "normal" time of year for harvest of the Bearrss limes; they have more juice if you leave them until they start to turn yellow. If, instead of pulling them off, if you cut them with a little piece of stem remaining on the fruit they will last much longer. Same thing for Meyers. I would cut one and see if it is "ready". Even if it is ready to harvest, you could leave the rest on the tree until you want to use them; no need to harvest them all at once; but you should harvest them before the end of the year, or the next bloom in the early Spring will produce less fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here