Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroc232627

lemons

jroc232627
17 years ago

Growing up in sicily i remember large lemons on trees. does anybody know what type of lemon tree it is?

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Jr, the largest lemons I've seen are the Ponderosa lemon. That's one of my favorite lemons..their sizes are huge..I've seen some as large as grapefrits. Could that be it? Toni

• jackpines
    17 years ago

Two things come to mind. Either citron (cedri) or lemon x citron such as Monachello lemon.There are others though.Can't wait to go back to Sicily to visit family!

• bencelest
    17 years ago

Can't you email your friends there and find out? I am getting curious.

• jackpines
    17 years ago

Oh, another comes to mind. The Interdonato lemon is large also and I think it is lemon x citron. I will try to e-mail family soon to find out bencelest!

• bencelest
    17 years ago

Here's some lemon tat originated in Sicily or Italy. Maybe you can remember.

'Femminello Ovale'Âone of the oldest Italian varieties; short-elliptic with low, blunt nipple; slightly necked or rounded at base; of medium size; peel yellow, finely pitted, medium-smooth, medium-thick, tightly clinging; pulp in about 10 segments, tender, juicy, very acid, of excellent quality, with few, mostly undeveloped, seeds. Fruits all year but mainly in late winter and spring; ships and stores well. The tree is almost thornless, medium-to very-vigorous, but highly susceptible to mal secco disease. This is the leading cultivar in Italy, accounting for 3/4 of the total lemon production, and 1/5 of the crop is processed as single-strength juice.
    'Interdonato' ('Special')Âa lemon X citron hybrid that originated on property of a Colonel Interdonato, Sicily, around 1875; oblong, cylindrical, with conical, pointed nipple at apex, short neck or collar at base; large; peel yellow, smooth, glossy, thin, tightly clinging; pulp greenish-yellow, in 8 or 9 segments, crisp, juicy, very acid, faintly bitter. Very few seeds. Earliest in season; mostly fall and early winter. Tree vigorous, usually thornless, medium-resistant to mal secco; of medium yield; accounts for 5% of Italy's crop.
    'Monachello' (Moscatello')Âsuspected of being a lemon X citron hybrid; elliptical, with small nipple and no neck, merely tapered at apex and base; medium-small; peel yellow, smooth except for large, sunken oil glands, thin, clinging very tightly; pulp in 10 segments, tender, not very juicy, not sharply acid. Bears all year but mainly winter and spring. Tree not vigorous, slow-growing, almost thornless, with abundant, large leaves; bears medium-well, resistant to mal secco, and has been extensively planted in Italy in areas where the disease is common
    'Santa Teresa'Âan old tree discovered to be disease-free in a 'Fermminello Ovale' orchard in Italy that had been devastated by mal secco. Budded trees from the original specimen were being commonly planted in the 1960's wherever the disease was prevalent in Italy.

• bencelest
    17 years ago

'Villafranca'Âbelieved to have originated in Sicily; introduced into Sanford, Florida, from Europe around 1875 and later into California. Closely resembles 'Eureka'; of medium size. Tree is more vigorous, larger, more densely foliaged, and more thorny than 'Eureka' but becomes thornless with age. One strain is everbearing; another fruits heavily in summer. This was the leading lemon cultivar in Florida for many years; is cultivated commercially in Israel; is low-yielding and short-lived in India. It is little grown in California but has given rise to certain selections that are of importance, particularly 'Galligan Lisbon' and 'Corona Foothill Eureka'.

• jackpines
    17 years ago

You've really been studying becelest! I have sent 2 e-mails to Sicily and Italy. Curious to see the response.

• jackpines
    17 years ago

Here you go ben and jroc:
    Ci sono vari tipi di limoni ma penso ke il limone grande ke tu stai
    cercando abbia questo nome: il monachello
    detto monacheddi
    Poi abbiamo i cedri, i verdelli ed infine l' interdonato presente nella
    città di Messina.
    Spero di essere stato di aiuto, un grosso bacione a tutti
    So, it appears to be a citron,(cedri), Monachello (monacheddi in sicilian), or interdonato, although there are many varieties as stated!
    By the way, there is no letter k in Italian,it would rather be ch, he was merely practicing using it because it is used in English. Also,big kisses to everyone it says!