Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evdesert

Impatience got the better of me...

I had planned on waiting until the spring to plant an improved Meyer lemon. Earlier this week I happend by my local big box hardware store and noticed our major wholesale citrus tree supplier was dropping off a fresh shipment of trees. So I went to check them out the next day and found myself at the register buying an improved Meyer lemon tree on C-35 rootstock. I was going to look for one in the spring on standard sized root stock but all my trees that I planted earlier this year that are on C-35 are doing incredibly well so I figured why not!

{{gwi:633245}}

This was the night I planted it earlier this week.

{{gwi:633247}}

This was a couple days later, it wilted a little, probably a combo of transplant shock and the change in light conditions.

{{gwi:633249}}

{{gwi:633250}}

And this morning it's starting to perk back up!

{{gwi:633251}}

{{gwi:633254}}

Wish me luck that this Meyer brings me fruit sometime in the not so distant future.
Evan

Comments (12)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Keep it shaded, Ev. I would also consider spraying the foliage a couple of times a day as well, during this ridiculous heat wave (will it ever end!?!) and dry Santa Ana winds. And of course, adequate water at the roots. It may do just fine if you can protect it from this terrible dry heat.

Patty S.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I am done with this heat! It's supposed to be 105 today but cool down to the mid 90's middle of next week. Luckily it has been cooling down to the low 70's at night so there's a little relief. Patty, I was in your neck of the woods week before last in the Mira Mesa area and wished I could live there just for the weather. I'm hoping this Meyer does better than the eureka lemon it replaced which never did much of anything. Thanks.
    Evan

9 years ago

Wow, surprised the Eureka did not grow like a weed for you. Just keep this little tree well watered and VERY well fertilized. Lemons in general, and especially Meyer lemons need more fertilizer due to their prolific fruit bearing. Plus, you're on sand, so your nutrients will tend to run through your soils. I would suggest you top dress your citrus trees with a bag of Kellog's GroMulch as well as topping with a water conserving mulch (bark chips). That should help you to improve nutrients to your citrus trees.

And yes, Mira Mesa is nice. I'm north of that, and a little closer to the coast. I live in the "commercial nursery epicenter of the USA" due to our ideal climate! I may sway you to move out my way, lol!!

Patty S.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I had it buried too deep, it was always sitting in water after the drip lines ran. I've since learned that is a no no. I am going to have to find a good fertilizer for the Meyer out here in the desert nothing seems to last quite as long as the directions say it will due to my sandy soils. I am just about ready to mulch again for the winter and kelloggs is exactly what I use, it's a good product. Apparently my housing tract sits on an old citrus farm so the soils aren't that bad they just need some assistance to be optimal. And believe me I'd move towards your area if I could, just can't make that happen at this point, maybe someday though.
    Evan

9 years ago

Yes, easy enough to fix, Evan. Be sure your tree is higher than the well ring, so the water will drain away from the trunk and out to the drip line, where the feeder roots reside. Be sure your drip doesn't spray the trunk. And perfect, you've learned how great Kellog's GroMulch is, love the stuff. Perfect for sandy or DG soils (yours and mine, respectively), that are on the thin side. I would still top with bark mulch, to retain moisture for your climate. I do it for my climate too. And, citrus grow like nuts out where you are (and where I am, too). They just had to top dress out there. Easy enough to do, with big commercial vehicles. And, I'll hold out hope for you, Evan! I will say, although I'm not a fan of hot weather, I do love our low desert area. I lived up in Garner Valley for several years, and would drive down the hill to work at Eisenhower Medical Center. It was a breathtaking (and somewhat horrifying) drive to work :-) Good thing I only worked part time, and 12 hour shifts. I could only stand to make that drive once or twice a week!

Patty S.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a small world, I used to work at Eisenhower hospital as well, as a patient transporter my junior and senior year in high school. I used to camp up near garner valley too! Thomas mountain up above lake Hemet is a great spot and its a nice quick getaway from the summer heat.
    Evan

This post was edited by evdesert on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 19:09

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I'm doing something right....the Meyer lemon I planted a few weeks ago is showing signs of growth with a flush late in the season.

{{gwi:633255}}

{{gwi:633256}}

{{gwi:633257}}

Evan

9 years ago

Very good, Evan. Just keep an eye on that tender new flush this winter, in case you get a cold snap. I would make a nice pvc frame for your tree, so you can create a good cover for it so none of the frost fabric touches the foliage. That way, you can cover it, put bricks down all around the bottom of the frost cloth to seal it tight, and even run a set of older Christmas lights (non-led) on the tree to keep the temps up. You can also flood the plant during the day, to keep the temps up a little as well. Just the dangers of late flushes that we have to watch for, but glad your tree is doing well!

Patty S.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not too worried at this point, I still have a few more weeks with daytime temps in the low 90's upper 80's and night time temps in the upper 50's. I might get a week in the upper 40's at night once January hits and then I'll probably jump to the 90's during the day again with the way global warming is going.
    Evan

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Evan, I would gladly take some of that heat from you, even in my summers!

I hope your tree does well..Patty is a pro at growing citrus and I hope it does well as hers.. Please keep us upadted on it's progress in the ground...It must be sort of a good and yet scary feeling to plant them in the ground..You always hope nothing takes it by surprise and that it loves its spot.

Mike

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike and yes Patty is a citrus pro in my eyes. Our temps are back into the upper 90's again this week but the Meyer is holding strong and showing signs that it is happy in its new spot. Hopefully it will do well there since the eureka lemon I had planted in the same spot before didn't fair so well. I will post update pics from time to time to show its progress as it gets more established in its new home.
    Evan

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well it looks like the Meyer is enjoying its new home. Hopefully some these blooms will hold on through the winter and give me a couple fruits next year.

{{gwi:633258}}

{{gwi:633259}}

{{gwi:633261}}

Evan