Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yikes! Mushrooms!

Posted by carmellia z 4 Minn (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 11:39

The leaves on my potted Calamondon orange have been turning yellowish all summer. I was advised to try flushing the soil. Now I have tiny mushrooms popping up. Have I killed it? It is absolutely loaded with blossoms, but I think I have to pull it out of the pot and let it dry out. Have any of you encountered anything like this? Do you think it is salvagable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yikes! Mushrooms!

is it inside? outside? greenhouse?

yellowish leaves usually mean lack of nitrogen. how often did you fertilize and what type of fertilizer?

flushing the potting mix every once in a while is a good thing, but this late in the season way up north where there is less sun and cooler temps, is not an ideal time to flush, as it completely saturates the potting mix.

if your tree is inside, use an oscillating fan to provide some air circulation, it might help with the evaporation process.

o
RE: Yikes! Mushrooms!

Potting mixes commonly grow mushrooms, especially those which are peat based. In most instances, these mushrooms pose no problem. However, the fact that you've been having problems for some time is telling. I suspect that you are using a medium that isn't porous and fast draining enough. What do these mushrooms look like?

How long has the plant been in this container? When was the last time you changed the potting soil?

A porous potting medium can be drenched without fear of waterlogging.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here