Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris84_gw

kumquat help!

chris84
10 years ago

Hi Everyone! I bought this Fukushu Kumquat last Saturday and it was on clearance with 50% off. When I got it, I noticed that half of its leaves have fallen off, bottom leaves are turning yellow, and the soil was soaking wet. I washed off the soil gently and a much of the rotted roots just washed away. I didn't have to trim the roots because the rotted part just fell off during barerooting.

This is a pic of what it looks like when I bought it.

After that, I planted on a big pot with 5-1-1 mix. When I was making the mix, I added vigoro ext release citrus fertilizer to the mix, which I realize after that I should have put that on hold until the plant recovers. But I used the mix anyway because it takes such a long time sifting through pine bark mulch to remove large pieces of bark and wood (I did not screen the bark). Then I placed it on shade and protect from wind.

Its been 2 days now and the bottom leaves continue to turn yellow and fall off. Should I start over again and use a 5-1-1 mix without the fertilizer and use a smaller pot? I used a big pot because I also have 3 calamondins that I planted on a much bigger pot 3 weeks ago and are doing really well in, so I thought it was also okay to do the same on the Kumquat.

This is a pic when I got it.

Comments (5)