Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanngreen

citrus trees top dress??

MeanNgreen
9 years ago

Hello all,

I planted these trees early this past spring and they have done pretty well and produce a good amount of fruit even after thinning them out.

I barley fertilized since it was first year in ground and only used a bit of osmocote plus. Meyer lemon has some yellowing leaves but new healthy growth and satuma looks healthy but with less new growth.

My question is the soil ontop/ around root ball is a bit washed away and wanted to top dress a bit before the cold comes. Should i just use regular native soil(i added a little yesterday) or maybe a composted manure. Worried about feeding this time of year...? what you think?

Thanks!!

This post was edited by MeanNgreen on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 12:11

Comments (8)

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

satsuma

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

both trees

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

6' spacing off fence and between trees

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I would just top dress with mulch, and wait until spring, when all chances of possible frosty temps have passed to trop dress with composted manure. Too much N for this time of year And, I'd make those wells about 50% bigger, as your tree canopies are starting to extend beyond the wells, which is where your feeder roots reside. The grass is going to compete for nutrients with your trees, and the grass will win that battle with a young tree.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

I suspect you are not likely to get frost in Myrtle Beach; and if you want that Meyer to make fruit in the Spring, you should fertilize it now with a good citrus fertilizer; cow manure is good food for citrus; but you have to put a LOT.
    I don't know about the other tree; but Meyers can take cold down to 28F when planted in the ground, without sustaining damage.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Zone 8a/b? Of course he could get a frost, John. I'm in zone 10a and my winter temps can dip to freezing for short periods. Myrtle Beach, SC can get some chilly winters. He is on the edge of the citrus belt. I would not fertilize until spring. Or, just a small amount of Osmocote Plus, but never top dress with that much nitrogen in composted manure. I don't fertilize after the end of October/beginning of November, and that's pushing it. He'll lose any new growth if he seriously fertilizes, and any fruit set would most likely be aborted if the canopy is damaged enough. Too bad you didn't fertilize a little sooner. I would take care about how you fertilize now, as you're heading into winter.

Patty S.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yea we do get frosts here in winter. I wanted tree to "harden off" that's why I was reluctant in adding compost. Do you guys know if adding mulch helps or hurts root system in cold.
    Some say leave soil bare to absorb Sun others say protect with mulch?

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

I mulch all my in ground citrus trees twice a year, once in the fall (now) and once in spring right before I get my 100 degree summer temps. During the winter it helps keep the roots warm during those cold nights and in the summer it helps retain moisture so I don't have to water as frequently. I get some cold snaps during December where my temps can dip into the upper 20's at night for a couple hours but my trees are unaffected by it most of the time. Here is a photo of my cara cara navel on the left, pomona sweet lemon front right, gold nugget mandarin back middle and my Mexican key lime on the right.

{{gwi:588730}}

Evan

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm