Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

cal ?

Suzy11
10 years ago

Two weeks ago we had a bad thunderstorm with a lot of wind. My Catamodin fell over and lost alittle bit of dirt, i have replaced it. I may need more. The trunk is still a little loose but not much. Should I steak it up and can I leave the trunk alone? The tree a a little heavy. The roots are Not showing? Why is it bad to leave the roots show?

Comments (13)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Sounds like you are doing what you can; I doubt there will be any significant affect. It is not bad to allow the root crown to show in a container plant; if that pleases you. Trees in the ground should not have the root crown exposed because it invites the entry of too many diseases and animals.
    I would not stake the tree; it will only insure that it will break later. If the trunk did not break in wind strong enough to knock over the plant, then it does not need support.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

John is right, just put potting soil back in if you need do (exposed feeder roots will dry up and die if they are exposed to the air and sun), water in well, and be sure to bring your tree in closer to the house, or in the garage during bad storms, if you're afraid it will get knocked over, again.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok thank you both very much :). Actually my tree didn't just fall over. It fell but I was pushing it into the garage during the storm and we both fell.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, Suzi. I hope YOU'RE okay. Sounds like quite a storm.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more question,. I need an option. If you move the pot the trunk does not move but if you very lightly pull the large side of the trunk over it does move about a half inch do you think that it may get worse . Should I add the dirt?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you patty. :) It was the wind was like a tornado. I hope that doesn't happen again anytime soon.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty I just made a calamodin pie and boy was it good! I used yellowish green fruit. Mostly green because I had to cut so many off because of my last problem

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I need your opinion. I have been watching the trunk. If you move the pot the trunk does not move but I if you very lightly pull the large side of the trunk it does move about half inch. Do you think that it will get worse? Should I add dirt?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Add water or water and a little sand around the trunk; it is called "sanding" and it strengthens the root and helps to anchor it.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow thanks john! :) !interesting

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

John. If i do not do anything right now will the problem get worse?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

I think you will be just fine, if you do nothing.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK thank you very much. :) that's great! If I do someday will dirt do it? OR do I Need sand? I made a pie with greenish yellow fruit and couldn't stop eating it. My mother said that it tasted like lemon. Yum!