Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this leafless tree have a chance at all?

Posted by princesspea sunset14 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 12:52

Hello citrus keepers, I have no trouble with citrus trees except when it comes to the weakest link- the Meyer lemon. We have neighbors with them and they are robust and happy. However. I have one in a whiskey barrels with extreme leaf miner, and one in the ground with literally no leaves- it grew a few flower flushes this summer and no leaves at all- yesterday's windy weather too the last pathetic leaves off.

The other lemon trees i have are fine. I want to grow some dwarf citrus as a hedge but the husband says no way we can spend $$$ unless I manage to resurrect this one. He is convinced it is the environment.
Here is the setup: this is a three foot tall Meyer lemon grown on a trellis. The trellis is on a fence with a western exposure. The top roots are exposed. Soil is lightly enriched and well draining Northern California orchard soil, passion fruits, oleanders, other citrus, stone fruits and gardenias(with an acid mulch) all do ok in it. I feed one time a month with green all citrus and avocado food. Water one x a week, twice in hot weather.

I got the tree last winter and there was a rare freeze- I lay the tree in its pot down in a sheltered spot and covered it with bubble wrap and towels for the three freezing nights. After planting, it slowly went downhill- no fertilizing in winter but when other citrus started growing I started fertilizing, over the summer all the leaves curled and dropped off. The branches are still green so it is not dead.

Any ideas at all?
Pea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this leafless tree have a chance at all?

If steams are still green and new growth comes soon. Pictures would help.

o

here are some pix- as you can see, nothing here to diagnose. One picture is the last leaf it had before the wind detached it yesterday afternoon- not a really strong wind, either, leaf was dull surfaced and not very vital.

o

another picture showing nice upright stems, with no leaves either.

o

Well, I have leafless trees that I was about to dump, suddenly explode into a lush canopy in days. On the other hand, I had a grapefruit that had some leaves on it only to never do anything--eventually, after more than one season, I threw that one out. Sometimes, if there is something really wrong at the roots, it just takes forever to grow out of. I would give it some time though--but not an eternity!

o

I wonder if it is still transplant shock from the unusually cold winter to the early heat wave we had in spring. Can it last that long??

o
RE: _Does this leafless tree have a chance at all?

I wonder if it is still transplant shock from the unusually cold winter to the early heat wave we had in spring. Can it last that long??
Pea

o

What kind of tree is it looks like a lemon if so could be light change from sumer to fall. I know Myron lemons do that if u change there light.

o

There are folks here with more expertise on your climate but you might check the temperature in the afternoon/evening sun to see if the dark fence is heating up and drying out the leaves. Here in Texas that could be an issue during the heat of the summer but maybe not there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here