Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alh_in_fl

Staking citrus, or not

alh_in_fl
10 years ago

In North Florida---
I've got a calamondin tree about 8 feet high, in a (huge) pot on my patio, and it's absolutely loaded with fruit. So much so that the branches are bending over and about to break. I put a stepladder under the branches to give some support until I figure out what to do.

And I've also got some little Satsuma trees (in the ground) that bend over badly when they fruit. I keep them staked all the time and add more support when needed.

I've heard that it is best not to stake trees because if you do, they will never grow branches strong enough to support themselves. In the case of the calomondin I think it's necessary to keep the branches from snapping in a strong wind. Should I just leave the stepladder under the tree to support it until the fruit ripens and is picked, then remove it? Or should I put a stake in the pot and leave it like that? Or should move the pot to the edge of the patio and put a stake in the dirt to support it? What would you do? Does it really weaken trees to stake them?

(FYI the calamondin is in a pot because I don't have a good place in the yard to plant it. And because it looks nice there.)

Comments (3)