Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyers Lemon Sap?

Posted by safari928 New Hampshire (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 13:00

Newbie here so please be gentle.

Can anyone tell me what this is on my lemon tree? The tree(bush) is about 1 1/2yrs old. It is sticky like sap. The tree has sprouted flowers that turned into little lemons that fell off. I did get one lemon that grew to about the size of a grape then one day I walked into the room and the little guy was on the ground. Talk about heart breaking. It has gone through cycles of losing all of its leaves and then coming back with aggressive growth. I water it when I think it might be drying out and I add fertilizer once a month. Any help would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyers Lemon Sap?

Welcome to the forum Safari928! We were all newbies at one point so no worries. Thanks for providing a photo. When and where did you get the tree? Also, kudos for attempting to grow citrus in a colder zone.

Have you checked the tree for pests? Specifically "Scale"? When my Meyer Lemon has signs of sticky sap on the leaves or pot it is usually a by product of these pesky Scales. If your tree has these bugs then spray with Neem oil. Do you have any Neem or Horticulture spray? (Scales attack my tree every winter so I keep it on hand)

Did the tree just recently flower? A few times I have seen a small amount of sap or nectar come out of flowers, but it was never much and didn't cause problems.

-Garret

o

My wife got the tree for me about 1 1/2 years ago as a present through the mail so I do not know where she got it. There were actually 6 in the package but all died except for two. I read up on the scales on the leaves but there is no sap on the leaves just this one place on the stump(if that is the correct term). My other Meyer has a sap spot too. This one hasn't flowered in about 3 months but the other one has one cluster of flowers that just appeared. Thanks for your help Garrett. This tree has become a bit of a challenge between my wife and I. She enjoys giving me a few good natured jabs whenever they lose their leaves.

o

Are you referring to the drop of sap?

o

rhizo - yes that spot of sap. I broke it off and it came back. I am worried that it might be some sort of boring bug. It might be nothing to worry about but I really want this tree to survive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here