Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtranxtr

calamondins too much fruit, not enough leaves

gtranxtr
10 years ago

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and seeking help. My new calamondin has produced a lot of fruits this summer and currently still have a lot of fruit on them. Winter is coming and I'm wondering if I should cut all the fruits off the tree so it can produce leaves for the next growing season. My tree right now has too many fruits and not enough leaves.

Comment (1)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

It depends on your purpose for the tree..

As we know, the more you pick off the fruit the more energy goes into making roots and growth..

If you are growing it for fruiting purposes, why not reap the benefits while you can until it's fruits are gone as long as you keep your tree actively happy?

I know many that leave their tree full of fruit for prettiness sake and making jelly all winter in which their trees do perfectly fine...

Growing outside or in lot's of sunlight should have built up energies reserves to sustain your tree throughout the whole winter despite being laden with fruit..

If you have no need for the fruit, then you could do as I do and take them all off now.

Welcome to this forum and enjoy your day:-)
    Pics always welcomed..

Mike

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths