Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcskye

Meyer Lemons

bcskye
10 years ago

Hi, everyone! I'm usually on the Harvest and Cooking Forums, but have a few questions on the Meyer Lemon plants I've bought. One question about propagating was answered in a previous thread on here so that helped a lot.

I have one Meyer Lemon I bought at least three months or better ago that had one large "lemon" and two little ones about 1/4" each. One of the small ones dropped off. All of them were a darker green and the two remaining still are. Is this common? Will they change to yellow at some point or did someone make a mistake on labeling them and I really have a lime?

The one I just bought about two weeks ago for $1 had all the branches but one trimmed back to around 5" to 6" and are leafless. Yes, that's why I got it so cheap, no one else would buy it on sale for $5. At the end of one of the short branches are three flower buds. One has opened within the last couple of days and smells delicious. What to do to get leaves on that part of the plant? Feed and trim those branches about another 1/4"?

On this last plant, the untrimmed branch is now 25" tall, has leaves on the top part of it and another branch that has leaves and is about 9" long. I'm planning on cutting the small branch off the long and rooting it, then cutting off the long branch and rooting it. Should I dip them in a rooting powder before planting or not? Can the longer branch be cut into more than one cutting?

TIA for any responses. This afternoon I'm going to another Lowes and see if I can get any more of the plants for a ridiculously low price.

Comments (6)

• organic_flutterby
    10 years ago

I'm just beginning my citrus tree journey myself so I can't really offer any advice, but I know that everyone would want to see pictures if that's possible.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

First year trees, people often remove the fruit.

My second year in the ground Meyers have some fruit, mostly still green and not ripe yet, just takes time. Citrus trees do drop surplus fruit when small.

No idea on the rooting

And is your leafless tree indoors under lights or outside (not that I would know what to do with one inside...)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Okay, found your thread. Photos please. All the other info, please. Also, lemons can take a while to ripen. It's also very common for a new tree to drop some if not all of its fruit. Many indoor container folks will remove the first year fruit to give the little tree time to develop a better canopy to support fruit. And, do not prune citrus. They are not like regular trees. They are tip producers and there is usually no need to prune them. Or, only prune very lightly for shape, dead wood, etc. You should be fertilizing regularly, and most container folks like to use DynaGro Foliage Pro, 1/2 strength with every watering.

As far as the last tree goes, not sure why you're wanting to cut a branch off? Young trees need all their branches to get a good start. It's impossible to give you good advice without photos, so please post photos of all your trees. You can upload all your photos to Photobucket.com, then copy the HTML code string of each photo, and paste that string right into the body of your message. Each photo will then be embedding directly into your message. You'll know it works when you click "Preview", as you'll see your photos appearing. If they don't appear, you may have copied and pasted the wrong code string.

Patty S.

• bcskye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I will upload a picture of the last tree that was pruned before I bought it and has the long branch as well as a smaller one off of it. The reason I was going to cut that branch off and root it into another tree/bush was in case it would let all the strength all go to the pruned part and keep it going. Both of the plants are in containers since I live in Indiana and the weather here is not citrus friendly. In fact, the high today and yesterday was only in the 40s and tonight its expected to be around 26. The record low for this date was 25 so we might even break that. Both plants are in their own 8" well drained pots and are very healthy. They are in a window that gets good southern sun, but I'm getting ready to take one of the grow lights out of my greenhouse and mounting above them for additional light.

I'm not too concerned about the first plant, although I will pinch off the tiny little 1/4" fruit that didn't fall off, as you said I should. I think I'm going to leave the large fruit on because it is what would be a normal size.

Thank you, Patty, for recommending DynaGro Foliage Pro. I do have an acidic fertilizer that I'd planned on starting to use in half strength but hadn't yet so I will look for the one you suggested. Will try to get some pictures on here in the next couple of days.

Madonna

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes I would LOVE to see pics too..

I use the fertilizer Patty suggests and it's a God send@!

MIke

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Madonna, no need to use an acidic fertilizer. Citrus are not "acid-loving" plants, like rhododendrons, camellias, etc. Meyer Mike has some very gorgeous container citrus, so I would definitely heed his advice. He's also in a chillier part of the country, and his trees do extremely well through the winter, indoors.

Patty S.