Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamran5426

Newbie needs help saving my orange trees

kamran5426
9 years ago

Last year I bought 7 different citrus trees from Lowes on clearance. I kept them in pot until after winter. They looked good in pots but since I put them in ground they have been slowly losing leaves and branches are drying up. They had some new growth but new stayed small in size. I hope you can see in pictures. I used a Miracle Grow garden soil. My ground is very clay like very tough.

I have been reading on this forum and there is lots of good information here and there. I am hoping somebody can help me putting a plan together. Thanks in advance.

I already ordered a Dyna Grow - Foliage Pro

Comments (8)

• kamran5426
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Initial planting is one of if not the most important things for the plant.

Give me a run down on what you did when you planted them-- also were they in ones or 3's ( gallon containers)

• kamran5426
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They were in 3 gallon pots. I dig up hole 6 inches bigger in radius and 6 inches deeper than original pot. I made some cuts to open up the root ball and used garden soil to fill up hole. I used some general purpose granular Miracal Grow fertilizer in green color. I have been watering once or twice a week.
    I am thinking my ground is very clay like so it may not be draining well. how would I check for that?

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

This is a good test for drainage. from Cornell.edu;

"To test drainage, dig a hole about 1 foot deep. Fill with water and allow it to drain completely. Immediately refill the pit and measure the depth of the water with a ruler. 15 minutes later, measure the drop in water in inches, and multiply by 4 to calculate how much water drains in an hour.

Less than 1 inch per hour is poor drainage, indicating the site may stay wet for periods during the year. Plants that don't tolerate poor drainage will suffer. 1 to 6 inches of drainage per hour is desirable. Soils that drain faster than 6 inches per hour have excessive drainage, and you should consider choosing plants that tolerate dry conditions and "droughty" soils."

Here is a link that might be useful: soil basics

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

With the size hole you made and the soil you filled it with, what you have done is created a "clay pot" the size of that hole; but a "pot" that has no drainage. Your roots will simply fill up the new "pot" and then stop growing; the stark difference between the mix in the hole and the surrounding clay in terms of pH, density, etc. will never encourage the roots to grow into the clay. If it were mine, I would dig it up, make a hole at least 2 feet deep and two feet wider than the dripline of the tree. Backfill that with a mix of your soil amendment with the native clay (1/3 amendment and 2/3 clay); that will give you a better shot at success. I would certainly do the drain test described above; and if the drainage is poor or non-existent, you might have to make the hole significantly larger.

• kamran5426
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this a good time to re-dig the hole wider and deeper? or should I wait till after winter? Can you tell me how to care for it afterward?

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

In Houston I think you could re-dig the hole almost any time; you may get some occasional cold snaps, but I doubt the soil ever gets too cold for root development.

As for care after, most people here know I am a one trick pony... that is, I really only know much about Meyer lemons; but if you search around this forum, I think you will get plenty of good advice.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

If your drainage is that bad you'd do better making a raised bed. There really isn't much you can do to improve severe clay. Making a bigger hole just gives a bigger bathtub to drown them. Building up a sizeable mound of good soil makes some well drained soil available to the roots at all times.