Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fish Emulsion

Posted by queenskitchen 6B/7 (NYC) (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 14:07

In looking to pick some up to pretreat my plant prior to bringing indoors there appears to be different nutrient levels. Can someone recommend a brand at home depot or recommend the right n-p-k numbers to use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fish Emulsion

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 10:07

if you are using it to treat for insects the nutrient value doesnt matter. I prefer using neem oil over FE because of the smell.

Mike

o

I use Neptunes Harvest brand and it seems to work well. The smell is not desirable, but that is expected. I got my bottle at a local nursery store, but it is also available on Amazon.

Neem Oil should be used to kill bugs and their eggs before you bring the tree in. My tree is attacked by scale every winter so Neem Oil (or similar product) is a must.

I am not sure what brands Home Depot sells. When I was at lowes this week I didn't see any fish emulsions or seaweed extracts.

What type of citrus tree do you have? How did it fair this summer? I am in Western, NY. Always nice to see others trying to grow citrus in NY.

o

seems to be a little conflicting advice vs. prior posts which suggested fish emulsion would be sufficient. This is my first plant and about to be first winter.

Garret-meyer lemon purchased in may. Check the potted citrus thread for pics. It has done great so far and is finally blooming.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 16:01

Queen. FE does work great as an inspect treatment. I just prefer neem so that my greenhouse doesnt smell like a fish factory.

If you want to use FE go ahead it will work great for you. I was just commenting that the nutrient content wont matter. Lowes sells a brand called Alaska 'something'. I have used it before.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here