Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree support without a stake

Posted by arkberry 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 14:10

Enjoyed reading about supporting the pummelo fruit, but I have a different support question. I have a Meyer and satsuma that are in containers and the developing fruit has the plants leaning a lot. I know there are some on the forum who are against staking the trees. Should I just wait o pick the fruit and adjust the plant in the 511 mix, stake it, or something I am missing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree support without a stake

Stake a young tree heavy with fruit. Especially a container tree. Most of the recommendations for not staking a tree are in reference to a tree in the ground. I only stake my very young trees that have thin trunks, as we can get some very wicked Santa Ana winds here, that can snap a young tree, especially one with heavy fruit. I stake loosely, so the trunk still gets a fair amount of flex, which is what stimulates the trunk to thicken up. Then, un-stake as soon as I think is is safe to do so, depending upon the tree's location in my yard.

Patty S.

o

And then there are the stakes that plants are equipped with for shipment. They are strapped around the trunks of the poor trees in a literal choke hold and should be removed ASAP. Staking, if necessary at all, should be rather loose so that the tree can actually sway and move a little bit.

o

Rhizo makes a good point. Never leave that stake in with the tree. It's there just to protect the tree from getting smooshed or snapped during shipment. Much better to put one or two stakes in, then stake loosely. It is very important for any tree - container or in-ground - to have trunk flex. It is the trunk flexing that stimulates the thickening of the trunk, as a protective mechanism to protecting that tree from snapping in the wind. Some situations and trees need a little protection in the beginning. Eventually you will be able to and should remove all staking.

Patty S.

o

Can you post a picture of your Meyer and tell us how old it is and on what rootstock? We could give you much better answers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here