Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zachw_gw

Sucessful Citrus of Las Vegas

zachw
9 years ago

I've searched for hours trying to find what type of citrus people have been able to grow here in Las Vegas, successfully. Given our dry climate and relatively cold winters (at least for outdoor citrus), I imagine the scope is limited. The nurseries and Internet suggest Meyers Lemon, Eureka (to some degree), and some other varieties such as Calamondin, but I thought it would be neat to see what has been successful for folks in the area (adding pics is even better).

I've just started to grow citrus and have had some luck with the following (although I bought these varieties in the Spring and the winter maybe the true test).

Best growing (for me, so far):
1. Kishu mandarin (top pic) - this guy has been remarkably resilient too the heat and light of the Vegas summer and even grew quite a bit in our hottest weather!
2. Page mandarin(2nd pic below) - Good although the winds seems to kill and distort a lot or the new growth.

Good growing:
1. Nagami Kumquat (3rd and 4th pics below) These have grown reasonably well, but have shead a lot of leaves. I'm still trying to figure out the reason. It does seemed to be related to changes in weather in both the Spring and Fall. They seemed to do well in the summer. Currently, they are loaded with growing fruit.
2. Eureka lemon (5th pic below) - Growing well, through new growth seems to be slow. Perhaps it needs time.

Not working for me at the moment:
- Meyers lemon (dwarf) - This plant doesn't seem to be growing. Out of some suggestions on the citrus forum, I've decided to try Foliage Pro liquid fertilizer to see if that will make a difference (the leaves are turning yellow and falling off). I'm currently using a 511 soil type, so drainage should be good. I do see a lot of sucessful Meyers in the area, so it's likely me or the plant.

I'd love to get my Meyers in good shape ... we'll see what the future may bring.

Anyhow, if folks have suggestions or would love to share their Vegas citrus, please post! I would love to try Clementine and Satsuma Mandarin (though it's not recommended for desert). Any thoughts on those?

Comments (7)