Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garret_87

Meyer Lemon Leaf Wrinkle

garret_87
10 years ago

About this time last year my Meyer Lemon started showing wrinckled leaves. Attempting to fix the problem I repotted it, gave it a grow light, humidified the room, used a citrus tone fertilizer and sprayed for pests. With these changes the tree has thrived this year and has literally been in continual bloom since Christmas 2012. It has 10 large lemons ripening with small ones here and there. Just checked this morning and its shooting out new growth with more buds.

Unfortunately with all this progress some leaves (about 1/3 of them) Are STILL showing this wrinkled form. What causes this? What can I do differently?

Is this harmful to the tree or should I not be worried?

Comments (8)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture of the whole tree? Are those leaves really yellow, or is just the lighting? If the leaves are dark green and exhibiting that "wrinkling", it could just be you are over feeding the tree; continuous blooming would support that. Citrus tone (Espoma) is a pretty "hot" fertilizer for containers; it is quite good, but works better for inground trees.

• garret_87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaves are not yellow or orange. That is the HPS grow light. It is a cloudy rainy day so the light has been on today. The leaves are the healthy green color. No problems with leaf color.

I have been using Espoma Citrus Tone as directed this year. I think it is something like 3 teaspoons every 4 months.

Additional picture is attached. The tree stays outside on warm days and nights.

Thoughts?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

With that may fruits on a tree that size and no yellowing of leaves and continuing to flower are indications of too much fertilizer; I would keep doing what you are doing; but maybe cut just a bit on the food... or maybe check the directions again to be sure you are following the instructions for container plants.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Wrinkled leaves can also be a symptoms of aphids or less commonly, a virus (with accompanying chlorosis). Check to see, and treat accordingly. Aphids are easy, hard spray with water, insecticidal soap, and if you have ants, manage the ants so they don't farm the aphids. Not sure where your tree was acquired from what state, that helps us to know what it might be as well. Check your soil for ants, they love to get into potted plants, you might be surprised to see an ant colony in the pot.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Aphid curl does not look like these; neither any virus that I am aware of. The tree is just too healthy!! I don't think I have ever seen a potted Meyer that size with so many fruits and no yellowing of leaves. Really it all points to just a little too much Citrus Tone for a potted Meyer that size.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Possibly, but Citrus Tone is organic, and it's NPK is so low (5-2-6), it would take an awful lot of Citrus Tone to over-fertilize a container citrus tree, John. And yes, the leaves usually turn downward with aphids.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/C107/m107bpleafinvert.html

The other pest that can cause crinkly leaves like this is the Asian Citrus Psyllid. But I think that would be very unlikely. It looks like the youngest leaves are most affected, which is why I suspected aphids.

Patty S.

• garret_87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This last week or so since I have been moving the tree inside/outside a few leaves have yellowed and been discarded. I view this as normal. It may be a bit stressed with the almost daily movings. I have had the tree 3 years and it usually will shed its older leaves in fall and winter.

Glad to hear that it looks healthy. I will cut back a bit on the fertilizer and give it some time for the nutes to filter out of the pot.

I took a photo of the tree late tonight. Those are the two biggest lemons and you can see the runners up dangling in the background. It continues to amaze me that this is possible in Rochester, NY. It is also quite the conservation peice when guests come over.

• garret_87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also wanted to show you this picture. You can see it blooming indoors. Here you can also tell there are normal leaves on the bottom and wrinkled leaves towards the top. Maybe it's not a big deal?