Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buylady

Hi Mike i'm still alive! need to no bout the meter testers anyone

buylady
13 years ago

Hi ya Mikieeeeee, an everyone, I have an been using the rapitest meter tester..i no others do i've read some posts on it..i'm wondering what are the good numbers for moisture,fert,light??thx inadvance

Comments (6)

• displacer
    13 years ago

I use a moisture meter. I know others don't like them, but I've used one for about six years now. I measure in a couple of different spots. I start with 2 measurements, and if they are wildly different, then I measure a couple more times to get a better idea of what's really going on.

It's time to water when the meter reads about a third of the way down from halfway. When it gets close to 0 is when the new growth starts to wilt.

Just be sure to get it into the roots - don't slide it down the outside of the pot, even though that's way easier.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Displacer,
    Buylady is currently using a 5-1-1 type mix, for which moisture meters are less effective/useful.

I think a chopstick or a barbecue skewer in the mix will give a more useful moisture reading.

As for the fertility readings...well, I'd rather just flush my containers and then add a
    known quantity of fertilizer.

Josh

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi there both of you, i like using both really but i do the like the meter i just wondered what no's are normal for citrus i got a couple that are goin in the 7's...think i'm goin to have a LONG LONG winter..with my babies..what do you think the right no's are??

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

What did the instructions say?

I have no idea which product you're using or any of the details.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Buylady: Hi..It is so good to see you again, well hear from you again! Did you have growing your trees this year? How did you like seeing them get better and better?:-)

Here is some info that will help you..

Citrus trees like deep, infrequent watering so that the conditions move towards dryness and REMAIN ON THE DRY SIDE OF MOIST! I have a friend that says that once it gets to the"""" #3""", then you can water again...The key is to make sure that number comes back in less than a week...If not, your pots are holding way too much moisture, in your environment..
    Watering frequency will vary with soil porosity, tree size, and temperature. . It is important to access soil water levels from deeper down where the roots are. A moisture meter can be used to read moisture at the root level. It can help assist you in the temptations that lead to over watering.
    A wilted tree that perks up within 24 hours after watering indicates the roots got too dry. Adjust watering schedule accordingly. A tree with yellow or cupped leaves, or leaves that don't look perky AFTER watering can indicate excessive watering and soggy roots. In this case one should, water less frequently. My friend grows in heavier mixes than what I use, and has too flush his pots out every month or he will get very inaccurate readings..

That is how some use this tool..But Buylady, you know that I do not use them anymore, since I never found them reliable and more so now that I use the mixes I use..My mixes are very porous and leaves lots of room for air exchange which is the reason why I now use wooden dowels.....

Based on what you are growing in, I would skip the moisture meter all together and just stick with the dowel method..As long that stick feels moist if pressed up to your cheek or wrist, don't water until it comes out dry..

Take good care of your self:-)))

Mike:-))))

• buylady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi ALL, its rapitest 4 different things on the meter it measures,that is one of my problems of watering to much i no that but i thought the meter would help me more...flush them holy cow no way my puter room would be drowned LOL...i found one yellowish leaf that has brown spot on it and i scraped it off with finger nail oh lordie what is that an the solution is?? i think i got long hard winter coming on my babies looked so gr8 outside on the deck i think i could have left them out another week or so but i will next year...i try Mikeee hanging in there..thx...love this site...i'll try the dowel more

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County