Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charleslou23

Pummelo Q's

charleslou23
11 years ago

which one you think taste the best and is the sweetest: Chandler, Sarawak, or Hirado Buntan? If you only tried 1 or 2 of these varieties, please also share your input.

Comments (19)

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

I have tried them all; and I prefer the Chandler. It makes some difference about the climate; I think the HB does best when you have less heat units. My Chandlers are in tropical climate; I have no experience with them in other climates.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

I agree with John, and I'm in an entirely different climate, more Mediterranean. Not sure where you're located, Charles? If you add your location and zones in your "Zone" field, we can then better offer info for you. I really like the taste of Chandler. It is the most commonly offered pummelo here in S. California, but I can say for good reason. It is really quite delicious, has pretty pink flesh, and is consistently good from the coastal areas to the desert. I also have a Tahitian pummelo, Mato Buntan pummelo as well a Valentine pummelo hybrid (and of course Oroblanco an Melogold pummelo hybrids). I like them all very much for varying reasons, but the Chandler, as far as a straight pummelo comparison to other straight pummelos, has the best flavor by far.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

The Chandler is also seedless; and with lots of heat the fruit is like eating candy; but if you really want the best ever tropical fruits, go to Thailand. For some reason whatever the fruit, it tastes better in Thailand; must be combination of soils and climate.

• charleslou23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i'm in zone 9, Houston area.

11 years ago

Well, I think you've got quite a few options, Charles. I love the Chandler as straight pummelos go. Next, as far as being a close-to-a-pummelo, would be the Valentine pummelo hybrid, but not sure that's available in Texas. You also have a couple of very sweet grapefruit options that taste probably more like a pummelo - they Bloomsweet and the Golden. Those are also options to consider.

Patty S.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Charles, I'm in Houston, too. Take a look at the link below. It will give you all the info you need about any citrus for our area. I see more Chandlers than anything else in the nurseries, and that's what I have. It's been in the ground for 2 years now and hasn't bloomed yet. Bloomsweet and Golden would be great choices if you want a grapefruit alternate. So would Oro Blanco, if you can find it. If you want a red grapefruit, Rio Red is the way to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Harvest Citrus Info

• charleslou23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks folks... by the way, i found out tahitian pummelo is aka sarawak variety.

• mrtexas
    11 years ago

Valentine is here in Texas. I've budded dozens of them. I got my budwood thru Texas A&M but it came from the California budwood bureau.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

11 years ago

Oh, well then, definitely consider a Valentine. I am not sure how they do in Texas, but they do very well here in S. California, and are quite delicious. A very unique blend of the three varieties they are a hybrid of a Siamese Sweet pummelo, the Dancy mandarin and the Ruby blood orange. You can actually taste all 3 fruits in the Valentine, I really enjoy mine. So much so, I have two Valentine trees in my little orchard.

Patty S.

• charleslou23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i just picked up a discounted pummelo tree but the tag didnt give a variety name just labeled "white pummelo grapefruit" and also mentioned it's one of the most popular white pummelo variety and i notice the leaves are like "conjoined twin" looking...

any idea which variety it might fall under?

10 years ago

No idea. I would contact the grower to find out what cultivar they call a "white pummelo". It could be many things, including pummelo hybrids. You many need to call the nursery to ask who the grower it. And charles, better to start a brand new message thread that is all your own and your own topic, then tacking onto a 2 year old thread :-)

Patty S.

• Nguy
    10 years ago

Hi Patty,
    I am about to buy a Valentine pummelo for my garden. I have some questions and hope you can help. Is the texture of Valentine soft ? I like grape fruits and pummelos with firm texture such as those of Harido Buntan, Chandler...I don't like the texture of Cocktail grapefruit. Can you compare the texture of Valentine and Cocktail? Thank you, Patty.

10 years ago

Well, I'd say it's firmer than the Cocktail, probably not as hard as maybe Mato Buntan I have, but closer to Chandler. It has a very unique and sweet, tasty flavor. You really can taste all 3 of it's genetic parents.I like it very, very much. In fact, will be having one tomorrow, as well as a Chandler. Yum.

Patty S.

• Nguy
    10 years ago

If it is close to Chandler, I will like it since I really love Chandler. I will buy one Valencia. It is more expensive than other citrus ($50 for a 5-gal tree).
    I have one more question Patty. Do you remember when is the season of ripeness of Chandler pummelo in S. California? I went through several websites and they have different information.

Thanks Patty.

This post was edited by Nguy on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:52

10 years ago

Nguy, very close to Chandler in texture, but more pigmented (Valentine is pigmented with anthocyanin, due to it's blood orange background, Chandler, on the other hand, is pink, being pigmented with lycopene, like pink grapefruits and Cara Cara oranges), and its flavor is more complex. Chandler tends to ripen for me here in N. San Diego county, about 6 miles from the coast April through August. You'll see a wide estimate, as they hang well on the tree. Valentine is best March and April for me, even though UC Riverside says mid-February. Wow, Valencia should be very reasonable, we have SO man Valencia here in S. Calif. But, we all should have a Valencia, as it really is the "juice" orange :-)

Patty S.

• Nguy
    10 years ago

Thanks for your message, Patty. Last year I got a Chandler fruit at Stater Bros, it was really really good. I purchased a 15-gal Chandler tree and it is having a lot of small flower buds now. I hope it will set some fruits. I am located in Redlanids so I hope I can have some Chandler around April. I can't wait to get a Valentine pummelo tree, probably I will get two Valentine trees :)

This post was edited by Nguy on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 1:11

• yonip69
    10 years ago

Hello Patty S, or any body,

Where can I buy Tahitian pomelo or Hirado Buntan tree. I am from South California, San Diego.
    Please help

Thanks,
    Gene

10 years ago

Yon, try contacting Walter Andersen Nursery as well as Armstrong. They both have had the Tahitian pummelo at one time. Not sure about Hirado Buntan. I would have said to contact 4 Winds, but they cannot ship to S. Calif (yet). They are in process of establishing growing grounds down here, so they can, but that will take some time. You might also try contacting Ong Nursery. Not sure if they have citrus, but they do carry a lot of Asian semi-tropicals (mangos). They may have it, or know where to get it. Lastly, Bonita Nursery in Bonita.

Patty S.

Patty S.

• ReptileAddiction
    10 years ago

Try Green Thumb Nursery San Marcos. They might be able to get it for you.