Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poncirus trifoliata from seed

Posted by krismast 6 S.E. PA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 15:35

Long story short I got my hands on some ripe Poncirus fruit (not the flying dragon variety). I wanted to grow a few seedlings and maybe plant one and give some to a friend of mine. Anyway, I was wondering when I should start these? I want to grow them in containers a couple of years before planting them in the ground. What would be the best course of action for starting these? Do I have to cut open the fruits now and plant right away and grow them inside? Can I refrigerate the fruit and start them in pots in the spring?

Thanks in advance,
Kristopher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poncirus trifoliata from seed

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 17:39

Either method will work.
If you sow the fresh seeds now, you need to provide warm conditions for germination. Takes a couple of weeks at 75-80F, slower if cooler.
If you refrigerate the fruit, you shouldn't let them freeze. Seeds left in the cold fruits last well into spring.
You can also store clean seeds in a bag in a refrigerator just above freezing.
Like other citrus, you must not leave seeds to dry at room temperature. Viability is short in these conditions.

o

Thank you very much citrange! Are you the owner of homecitrusgrowers.co.uk? I stumbled upon that website in my search for info.

Kristopher

o

I pealed the thin skin off the seed and planted them in a grow box heated by a 13w compact florescent bulb. The seeds were up in 6 day. After 7 months the 3 plant range from 3 feet to 5 feet of linear growth. Manure of any kind is deadly to these trees, Including dog urine. So watch where you plant the trees. I gave my plants 16 hours of light / day.

o

picture of poncirus trifoliata in 5 gallons buckets at 7.5 months old

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here